1970 Sutphen-Sport Pacer Project

Just when you think you don't have enough time for another project, one like this comes around.
The boat is a 17' Sutphen Sport Pacer with a 1979 100hp Evinrude.:thumb:
We got the Boat w/ motor, trailer, seats, anchor, ski pole, a bunch of rope, 3 props, 2 kneeboards, a tube and a few extra bonuses for $300. :eek:

The guy who owned it before never ran it, It just sat in his yard for years so the exact condition of the engine was unknown but for the price I didnt care. He bought it to go fishing w/ and never got to it I guess.

We got it home, changed the battery, Wires, gas, fuses and spark plugs and it fired right up. I couldn't beleive it, I thought something must be the matter w/ it judging by how it looked.

The compression is 125, 120, 120, 120 and runs beautifully.

The floor was rotten - no suprise, but the transom apears solid. I stood on the whale tail and no flexing whatsoever :)

My friend and I spent the last 3 days gutting the interior, floor and stringers, as well as replacing it all again.
Like most boats, it is a work in progress but so far so good.

Here are some pics:

Working away...
72307006.jpg

Last edited:
Things to come are:

-New blue paint w/ White flames
-Rear storage/sundeck
-New Dash w/ guages
-Stereo
-Steering wheel
-Misc hardware
-Seats
-Engine painted

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
BP.

Thanks for sharing!

It's already like night and day! :thumb:

How long did it take you to do the floor work?

Thanks Chris and you're welcome. It took about 20 hrs from beginning to end. The most time consuming part was removing the stringers:eyes: That part sucked

Yesterday was a long day...:sleep:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Wow!

That's quick, really quick.

I'll bet the old owner would be shocked to see how quickly it's progressed. :eyecrazy:

It's going to be neat to see how it runs. :thumb:

We were saying he didnt know what he lost out on. Its amazing what a little teamwork and determination can do to an old boat like this. He seemed like a nice guy though, maybe close to my age...I even offered to take him for a ride "if" we got it going. Some people are just better off as passengers oposed to captains:D

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you can master that kind of work, there are a ton of boats that can be had for a song.

There aren't too many places that will do that kind of work, and the ones that will aren't cheap. And that usually makes salvaging an old boat, cost prohibitive.

If you can do it yourself though and to a good job at that...

giddy up. :bounce:

Cooperider

Things go faster when there are more than one of you. AND you have everything you need when you start. Good job.