mariner 9.9

peterk706

i own a mariner 9.9 outboard the last time i had it running it would only run with the choke out then it stopped now when i try to start it it fires up and stops straight away could anyone help with this problem it would be much appreciated

Will Switzer

i own a mariner 9.9 outboard the last time i had it running it would only run with the choke out then it stopped now when i try to start it it fires up and stops straight away could anyone help with this problem it would be much appreciated

How long has the motor sat ? its very possible that the carb needs to be taken aprt and cleaned . How fresh is the fuel that you are using also ? gas starts to sour in about 60 days and mixed with 2 stroke oil can cuz problems in a two stroke .

peterk706

thanks

thanks for getting back i would say the fuel is there longer than 60 days and i will change it and see if it works thanks again

Will Switzer

thanks for getting back i would say the fuel is there longer than 60 days and i will change it and see if it works thanks again

Just remember tho if the carb got gumed up from the old gas/oil mixture it will need to be taken apart and cleaned . Also check the plugs . They could be fouled from running it with the choke on . Might need a new set

peterk706

i checked the plugs they seem to be fine i will try the petrol first as i wouldn't attempt to take the carb apart myself and will need someone to do it for me. thanks

Will Switzer

i checked the plugs they seem to be fine i will try the petrol first as i wouldn't attempt to take the carb apart myself and will need someone to do it for me. thanks

The carb really isnt all that hard to do . But if you have never done it before let some one with expirence do it .....

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds like a classic symptom of a carb that needs cleaning.

As Will said, if the gas is old, or if it was sat in the motor it will go bad and foul the carb.

-Chris