1975 Checkmate Vmate restoration

Will Switzer

My new stainless trim pump bracket came . Now I just have to fab up something and glass it to the hull to mount the bracket and pump

IMAG0151.jpg

Will Switzer

Found a bad side brace under the deck so I cut it out . While I was at it I decided to cut the board out behind the dash too . The hole for the steering helm was all chewed up and NOT ROUND . My helm wouldnt go through . So Cut a new piece of wood and fitted it in place . Than started glassing in the helm area .

Side brace removed
IMAG0154.jpg

New piece cut
IMAG0157.jpg

Removal of the dash board
IMAG0156.jpg

Will Switzer

Here we are filling in the helm cut out . Took quite a few fiberglass patches to fill it up and it sure soaked up the resin . But its getting there ...

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

Back side glassed in place for support .
IMAG0162.jpg

Will Switzer

Its been a bit since ive posted last and alot has happened since than . I keep my thread updated on the Checkmate forums and sometimes for get about the one here . Here are a few pics for your viewing enjoyment

Steering cut out completely fixed
IMAG0163.jpg

Filled in all the holes in the side of the boat where both parts join together .Some one really hacked it up years ago

IMAG0164.jpg

What it looked like before
IMAG0168.jpg

Will Switzer

Than I got bored and built the base to mount my power trim pump and also built my rear seat bench

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

Last edited:

Will Switzer

The more I look at this with out the windshield the more I like it with out it . So its most likely not going back on . I cant believe either how much room is inside of this little V-mate . I can sit in the rear seat and stretch my legs all the way out . Checkmate really made use of every available space with this hull ....

IMAG0188.jpg

Will Switzer

Well on this day it was transom rebuild day . Got the seacast all poured and is now set up and VERY SOLID !!! To me this is the best way to go . Total time from time bucket was open till it was all in the transom 35 mins and your done and next day you have a solid transom ready for the motor ...

IMAG0195-1.jpg

Had to give it a quick mix before the hardener was added
IMAG0196-1.jpg

Will Switzer

And here is goes in between the transom skins to become my new transom . My cousin shovled some of it in and than I picked the bucket up and poured it in while my dad guided it down when a sheet of flexable plastic

IMAG0200.jpg

My dad smoothing it out
IMAG0201.jpg

Last pic I took just before it was all filled it
IMAG0202.jpg

Will Switzer

Here is the new set of decals I had made . Went with the new style Checkmate font . Rob (ezstriper) on the checkmate forum did these up for me and they turned out awesome cant wait till the boat is painted and I can get these on

IMAG0178.jpg

Will Switzer

Well It has been a while since I have posted . But i have had the boat back home for a week now . On tuesday I stripped some of the paint on the bow Trying to get it ready for paint . I also have the paint for the bottom and the primer for the top . Ill be getting back to it on sunday since that is my next day off !!!

Here is a picture from last sunday when I brought her back to the house ...

Vmatehome.jpg