Speed -vs- prop(s)

204 Escape

Boat:

2006 LArson 204 Escape
Weighs 3100 #'s (according to the brochure)
Has a 5.0 Mercruser Carburated engine
220 H.P.
50 gallon fuel tank (full)
Alpha one drive unit
20'-1" long
Modified V hull

Speeds today, according to the GPS were as follows:

3250 RPM's-----32 mph----- 36 speedometer
3950 RPM's-----37 mph----- 40 speedometer
4900 RPM's-----45 mph----- 50 speedometer

It has a 19 P aluminum prop now.

I want a bit more speed, BUT, we pull a tube with the boys in it. (A combined weight of +/- 190 #'s)

I want a Stainless Steel prop.

Suggestions !?!?!?

Thanx,

204 Escape

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Normally what you want to do is prop your boat, so when you're at wide open throttle (WOT) your motor is running in the max rpm range for it. Not below it, not over it.

As far as pulling tubes etc. typically more blades are better than less. The disadvantages of more blades is a loss of top end speed. But with a four or five blade prop you usually get a lot better hole shot.

So first thing I would do is figure out the max rpm range for your motor and then work from there.

-Chris

Fun Times

This would be a good Stainless steel prop for over all performance for your boat, Either in a 19* or 21* pitch would do you fine and it will give you more speed over the aluminum design. Here is a link to mercruisers props they have to offer.
http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,49355,126_49361&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL.
New product Release Propellers Vengeance
PORTAL.wwpob_page_util.select_tab_for_persistance
Comparison Hardware / Accessories
pobtrans.gif

4078.JPG

• Three-blade stainless steel design
  • Stainless steel performance and value with increased efficiency, strength and durability over aluminum
  • Precision handling and acceleration - better than most three-blade aluminum propellers
  • For outboards 25-250 hp and Alpha sterndrives
4079.JPG
4080.JPG
4081.JPG
4083.JPG
4082.JPG
4084.JPG