125 evinrude over heat shut down

steven

ok i have a 1972 125 evinrude and i was wondering wat the sensor in top of the block close to the fly wheel does. is it a over heat shut down cause it is unhooked and i do not know how to hook it back up can some on help me :brickwall:

steven

i would but cant figure out how to get it on here but it is the sensor at the top of the engine towards the rear and kinda off set to the drivers side if looking at it from the rear. it has 2 wires one a purple and the other a purple with a yellow

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Steven,

Try uploading the pic to the photo gallery first - then we can link it and post it here from there.

Either way, I'll have a look in my old OMC shop manual when I get back home Sunday night and see if I can figure out what component you're referring too. :)

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I looked in my manual which lists the 71 model, so I'm not sure if it's the same as yours.

According to the wire schematic a solid purple and purple yellow goes to the thermo switch assembly.

Not sure if yours is the same, but hope that helps.

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine it would get wired back to the terminal block.

To know for sure where exactly on the terminal block it goes, you would need the specific wiring schematic for your motor.

I would have a look on the terminal block and see what it looks like. Maybe you'll get some hints as to where the wires were.

-Chris

steven

yea but i cant figure out which posts to hook it too the terminal block had a cover with a diagram on it but it is missing too and i cant see any signs of whrer it was hooked

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking maybe someone just cut the wires and perhaps there might still be some signs of where the wires were originally.

I can tell you what my manual says, but I don't know that yours is the same. And putting the wires in the wrong location obviously might cause some problems, perhaps very serious problems. I would think you could easily blow some of the sensors or worse.

What you need is the specific wiring schematic for your model, so you'll be sure where the wires go.

Without that, it's a risky guessing game as best.

-Chris