Please help to ID this Merc lower unit

savdxgrace

:confused:Hello all.....I aquired what appears to be a '69 Mercury 1000SS six cylinder outboard. I do know that the center section is not original so therefore I dont have the correct data tag. The previous owner told me he had changed it and even though the lower unit bolts to it, the "footprints" of the lower unit and the center section are not identical. I have the foot off and apart and am trying to properly identify it so that I can get the correct parts. Here is what I know....

the "serial" number on the engine block is 2681740

the lower unit housing casting number is 1623-5245

the housing has "FLEETMASTER" in the top of it

the drive shaft DOES have a spring loaded pin in the top to load the tapered bearing on the drive shaft

the gear ratio is 2.3:1, 30 teeth on the gears and 13 teeth on the pinion

the carrier number is 52132

it is a 3 tab reverse clutch

it DOES have a flush plug on the side for flushing the water pump

its physical shape, size and appearance is extremely similar to my '77 850 unit

Is it possible to determine if indeed this foot is from a '69 Merc 1000SS?

What does the "SS" designate?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi savdxgrace - welcome to our forums.

This wouldn't by chance by a Merc XS motor would it?

I have a few pics of the mid 70's versions which had a red stripe on them. :)

-Chris

savdxgrace

I'm not sure what the XS stands for. It does not have that lettering on the covers. I was going by the serial number & came up with a 1969 1000SS. I think the SS means solid state ignition. Although the stickers on mine are red, the red decals on the pics you sent are not quite the same as mine. This engine sticker spells Mercury completely and has 1000 on the rear and 100HP on the collar. I found a gear ratio chart and the 2.3:1 ratio is only listed for 800 & 850's. The list said a 1000 should be 2:1. If you use a different ratio, can that be compensated for by the pitch of the prop?

I noticed also on the side of the engine block, the word "TIGER" is cast into it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The XS models were Hi-Po versions.

They were really cool. :devil:

Merc made the red graphic motors for about three years in the late 60's, but they kept making red XS graphic motors for a number of years after that.

You can tell the XS motors as they will say XS on the graphics on the cowl, similar to what is shown in the brochure pick I linked to in my earlier post.

-Chris