9.8 merc no start

Darryl

I have a 1982 merc 9.8 and can not get it to start. I have changed the plugs and partially rebuilt the carb (gaskets and pump) the float and needle valve seemed OK. The compression is good. It fired once for about 2 secs. It is getting spark but I am not sure if it is enough. How do I check if I am getting enough spark or is any amount of spark good?
Thanks............Darryl

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
After you try to start it up, have you tried pulling the spark plugs to see how they look?

Normally when I've got a no-start problem with small motors, I spray a little gas into the carb to see if it catches.

-Chris

john lamon

Try taking the spark plugs out and dry them off and then spray a small amount of gas in to the cylinders before you put the plugs back in, it should fire and might only run for a few seconds, if it dies try it again.

Darryl

Thanks Chris,
I did pull the plugs and they were both dry. I will try the shot of gas into the carb.

Regards,
Darryl

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chris,
I did pull the plugs and they were both dry. I will try the shot of gas into the carb.

Regards,
Darryl
If you pulled it over a bunch of times, they typically would be wet if you had a ignition issue. Can't guarantee that, but that's usually the case. If they're bone dry, it sounds like you've got a fuel delivery problem.

Try spraying some fuel in the carb, or as John suggested, try spraying a bit of fuel in the cylinders and see if it fires up for a few seconds.

-Chris