can i make it work

skikman

hi i just bought a unfinished speedboat project.it has a 50hp evinrude outboard. with it came johnson controls which are done but the wiring cable is ok.also a good mercury box with cables and wiring. is there a way i can make the mercury control box work the evinrude engine with what i have?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Why not just look for a good used set of proper controls on eBay?

It might be easier then messing around.

It's usually the cables themselves where the value is. The control boxes are usually fetched pretty cheaply.

-Chris

Fun Times

It might be pretty hard to make this work because sometimes the manufacturers of the OEM controllers will use different styles of internel hardware and design from each other which would require new shift cables, And that could be hard to find to make work because the engine manufacturers also have their own designs that require the use of certain style cables to fit the engine.

And normaly the cables will come with the correct ends crimped on the ends to fit the engine and controller in some cases.

But there is some universal cables that you may get to work out there, But the end fittings for the cables are pretty expensive to buy sometimes.

Good luck with it.:cheers:

Chris E

not to mention, often oem will set the engine up with a push throttle or a pull, but you could be fairly certain that merc and omc will do the opposite (one will be a push throttle, the other a pull).