Trim tab question

204 Escape

We have a 20'-1" LARSON 204 Escape I/O F/S Deck boat, with a 5.0 L engine. When leaving the dock going through the wake zone area, I have to constantly "adjust" the straight ahead direction with the steering wheel, to keep the boat headed perfectly straight.

Is this normal, -OR- would trim tabs help ??

Thanx

Fun Times

We have a 20'-1" LARSON 204 Escape I/O F/S Deck boat, with a 5.0 L engine. When leaving the dock going through the wake zone area, I have to constantly "adjust" the straight ahead direction with the steering wheel, to keep the boat headed perfectly straight.

Is this normal, -OR- would trim tabs help ??

Thanx
Sorry to say But this is normal and trim tabs will not help this. It is mainly the hull design that makes it wonder like that at slow speed, Some boats are worse then others, Tabs just kind of level the hull at speed from left to right and also they lift and lower the bow when needed. There is not much you could do really, But some times you could try to lift and lower the drive a little to find a little better sweet spot some times, But it really does not help much at all. The only thing that may help it out a little better in my opioin would be a Dual prop rotation stern drive.:( In the old days before power steering they used to use a anode style tab to help with steering torqe, It was mainly for hi speed steering and countering the prop torqe by off setting the fin a little, And it is still used on outboards to day, But also it did help with some slow steering as well. You would not know till you went out and tested and adjusted it a few times to see if you can find a better spot for both hi and slow speeds. I am not saying it will work but if you had the time to play with it a little you might get lucky with it. Here is a link to them so you know what they would look like.http://www.boatzincs.com/MER46399.html

Last edited:

204 Escape

Thanx, for the reply, and the info.

I figured that the trim tabs wouldn't be the answer, but was just tring to learn.

It isn't that big of a deal, just kinda annoying.

Again,

Thanx !!!!!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Power or no feedback steering sometimes helps that issue.

Otherwise, you can play around with the small trim tab on the motor or outdrive to help a bit.

-Chris

204 Escape

We have power steering, was just wondering about the tabs. A buddy of mine, about 120 miles away, said that it helped the "wake speed wondering" on his 20' bow-rider

204 Escape

What are the dimensions +/- fpr trim tabs, say for a 20' deck boat. Was wondering for clearance of the rear ladder.

Fun Times

You might want to look in to the smart tabs I have been reading lately the smart tabs have helped some boats with the slow speed wondering, I am not sure if it would work or not because I have alway heard it does not help, But It is one of those things you just do not know untill you try it, And with some other people saying it help's with about 95% of it then maybe it does help a little. Well here is the link if you want to think about the tabs, And from what I have read the smart tabs are one of the best and every one loves them on there boats.http://www.nauticusinc.com/

204 Escape

With 11" clearance from the rear of the boat, to the inside of the ladder, does anyone have any idea "which" trim tab company, and or model # of trim tab, htat I should get ?? I'd like to have some, (I think), but unsure which ones to even consider.

Moving the ladder isn't an option.