Boogie Board Battles

sawcat

This is great fun . We started riding these boogie boards behind the boat back in 84'. It's great to see the next generation carry on the tradition.
The boards are fairly soft so if you get hit it doesn't hurt plus your back there with someone else to mess with.
The object is to spray your opponent into submission then next person hits the water .King of the mountain water version. :yell:

Attachments

• DSCF0547.jpg
    DSCF0547.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0549.jpg
    DSCF0549.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0585.jpg
    DSCF0585.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 5

sawcat

We use a regular 75' ski rope & run right about 15mph speedo.If you go to fast the boards just slide on the water & you can't dig them in to spray.To slow & you bog down. The operator has to stay on his toes.Signals from your riders & you soon find the right pace.
These pics show the start,then to your knees,then you can see their not enjoying themselves. :D

Attachments

• DSCF0629.jpg
    DSCF0629.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0589.jpg
    DSCF0589.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0593.jpg
    DSCF0593.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 11

sawcat

Counter spray defends. So these shots are 2 counters & what happens if you don't.

Attachments

• DSCF0580.jpg
    DSCF0580.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0584.jpg
    DSCF0584.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0638.jpg
    DSCF0638.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 11

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Sawcat,

Are your boogie boards fancy knee boards, or are they the cheap styrofoam ones?

We used to have this oversized styrofoam board that we aptly called "the paddle board".

It was about six feet long and was made of white styrofoam. It had aluminum pipes running through it to give it strength. We knew that as the dog used to chew on one and he eventually made his way through to the pipes.

My aunt still has one from years ago that we still use.

We used to do all kinds of crazy stuff on it years ago, but at this point it's mostly relegated to surf duty. Which equates to one person holding it near the shore for the "surfer" who basically runs towards it and jumps on it and attempts to surf it as far as possible without falling off. Of course, every once in a while, someone manages to stay standing on it which is usually met with boos and jeers from the onlookers. Cheers usually arise out of bad surfing abilities. :D

Unfortunately, we can't find the paddle boards anymore anywhere, so the one that my aunt has is treated with nostalgic care.

They used to sell them at Canadian Tire. :)

sawcat

The boogie boards we have are made by Body Glove their called Stratus.
They aren't styrofoam it's some other type stuff but their not hard like a knee board.Plus there's no fin.
I bought these about 5 years ago.I believe they were around $70 each.
The boards are the kind guys use at the ocean.I looked on the net a while back & you can spend quite a bit on some of them.

Loved your story Chris you've quite a nack at telling one :rof:

Were also guilty of cheering the crash & burn :D
Here's a shot of Kyle spraying his sister

Attachments

• DSCF0619.jpg
    DSCF0619.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Kewl.

I see boards like that kicking around in the stores.

We mostly ski and tube at this point.

We used to do all kinds of crazy stuff.

We used to have this old wooden disk. That was a pretty crazy thing to ride on. God help you if you got it in the noggen. I think that got sold years ago when my Grandparents sold their cottage.

My aunt also has trick skis, we tried them a few years ago for the first time in years and then realized why we didn't use them for years. :D

sawcat

You guys should give the body boards a go.Water skiers take to them real fast. It transfers over in the lean & so forth.
We still ski some but you know how it wears you out.You can ride the boards alot longer without as much strain on the old body.I think one of the reasons we like them so much is being back there with somebody.It's just neat.

A good friend of mine (Frankie) that loved surfing introduced me to the bodyboards.His parents had a cottage on Lake Gaston & his crowd rode the boards up there.
He showed up with the boards one day when I had invited him out on the boat.One trip with him riding the things & I had to have some.It's now the main event.
The kids love them so much that was all they wanted to do.They did ok on the boards, learned how to get up & ride ok but, when they learned how to slalom ski they where much much better on the boards.

The wooden disk sounds like one wild ride. I'm lucky to be talking to you:bounce:
Or should I say your lucky to be talking to me:yell: