Gearbox

lilaussie

Not sure if right place but anyhoo

Have recently had to buy a new gearbox for me motor, now, i managed to get the thing off, after many problems, have now got a new prop/gearbox, my question is, how the hell do i get it back on? i can get to about an inch to attaching it back onto the engine then it gets stuck, i have a little thread but something is stopping it from going all the way up in the engine. am i missing something? the gearbox is in neutral, i have turned the shaft but no luck.

any ideas?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi lilaussie,

What kind of motor is it? Size, year etc.? Outboard I assume?

I gather by gearbox you mean the lower unit?

Assuming that's what you mean, on many motors there is a rubber grommet up near the powerhead that slides over the water pump cooling tube, perhaps you're not hitting the right spot?

The driveshaft also has to go up inside the powerhead and get seated, if you don't get the right spot, then the driveshaft won't seat properly and will keep the lower unit from seating all the way - and yes turning the driveshaft sometimes helps get it seated.

What I normally do is shine a flashlight up inside the leg to get a look at things are where they're all located. That usually makes it easier (for me at least) knowing where everything is situated.

-Chris

lilaussie

Its a mercury 700, and yes i mean the lower unit.

i will get a flashlight and have a look, so if turning the driveshaft sometimes help, what always helps? i find it strange that its a complete mission to get this back in and bolted on, but then tbh, i dont know much about boat engines :)

thanks for ya help

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Normally the trick is that you have to marry up the cooling lines with one another and you have to seat the driveshaft into the powerhead.

I know on my smaller motors, tilting them up a bit and then having a look up the leg with a flashlight gives me a better idea of where I'm aiming to get everything to go.

After you get things seated, I would make sure the tell-tale is pumping water, if it isn't then you most likely missed the mark on the water line.

If you want, you can also post a few pics as well as that might help too.

-Chris