thermostat perhaps

JEB64

I have a 50hp Tohatsu that I have just changed out the water impeller. I know that it is installed correctly for I have done this on a yearly time frame and I double check it. I just started getting a high heat warning. This was my next trip to water with it. I put a low water pickup on it 6 years ago. With the motor in water and at idle I have a strong suction from the pickup, tested with my hand. My oil to gas mix is correct. I can find no fuel leaks. The water port on the side is giving off a solid stream of water, which is much warmer than usual when the alarm and light go off. Could this be the thermostat or could I have suck something up into the low water pickup? Is the latter even possible? I do fish a lot of shallow saltwater.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I always start by looking at the pump and working from there.

Sometimes it's the impeller itself, it can also be something like the rubber coupler that joins the pump outlet tube inside the leg.

I'm not familiar with Tohatsu, but some motors have flush mechanism that you can use to flush the cooling system.

It could just be some debris as well in the system as you speculated.

Once you eliminate those possibilities, I would then look at the thermostat and the poppit valve if it has one.

Let us know if you figure it out. :)

-Chris