new member with 200 Optimax question

Canada Jeff

I am looking at a pontoon boat with a 2001 Merc 200 Optimax. I have read online about some of the problems. Are there any members here that have any experience with these outboards?

TIA

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome aboard Jeff, nice to have you with us. :)

What problems have you heard about with the Optis?

They're typically pretty good, but all the early DFI's had a few issues.

On the positive side, if the one you're looking at has always been on a 'Toon, it's probably had a pretty easy life.

-Chris

Canada Jeff

This boat has a bad power head (acording to the seller) the boat is what I want, and the price reflects the engine problem very well. I have read (justlurking on some forums) that these engines (early 2001 to 2005 ish) have had alot of issues. To the point that Merc has been sued! ? But, no one is going to just post good things I guess.

I am going to try and find a marina (waterloo area) to see if I can have a tech visit tis boat to check out the outboard. Not sure what else I can do to make sure I'm not buying a bigger problem.

Chris E

i was in the industry at the time those engines were introduced - they had problems, and had one blow up after 500 hours, which from what i heard was normal. don't know if they have improved or not, but most consumers wouldn' see 500 hours in 10 years, long after the warranty expired, so i'm guessing merc wasn't too worried about reliability.

having said that, they do work well, are good on gas, and appear to be more reliable if they haven't been beaten too hard (like most things mechanical).

i would have the powerhead rebuilt (or i believe merc offers a rebuild program on powerheads) by a good dealer and make sure you run good quality oil in the engine.

Canada Jeff

Boat is being delivered to a marina I found in Kitchener Ont to be looked at. We'll see what is found. if its just a powerhead, then I'll be happy. Because this is just a pontoon boat, it won't be runn hard. Mostly running just above idle, then shut down and drop anchor !