KOHLER MARINE GEN SET

JPILOT

I own a 1996 Kohler 8E gen set. The other day I attempted to start the unit. After a few revs. the unit went dead. Checking I found a 10 amp fuse titled INPUT blown on the controller. Changing the fuse, I again attempted to start the gen. Again the fuse blew. The unit was not overheated, lacked oil or any other ovious problem.

Why am I blowing fuses??????????

Fun Times

I own a 1996 Kohler 8E gen set. The other day I attempted to start the unit. After a few revs. the unit went dead. Checking I found a 10 amp fuse titled INPUT blown on the controller. Changing the fuse, I again attempted to start the gen. Again the fuse blew. The unit was not overheated, lacked oil or any other ovious problem.

Why am I blowing fuses??????????
Does it blow the second you put the fues in, Or does it blow when you turn the power on only, Or does it blow while trying to start it up?

You could have a loose of corroded ground or power cable some place for starters, That's kind of common.

JPILOT

Does it blow the second you put the fues in, Or does it blow when you turn the power on only, Or does it blow while trying to start it up?

You could have a loose of corroded ground or power cable some place for starters, That's kind of common.

It blows while I'm cranking for a start.

Please recall that I blew a fuse after I started it the first time---question the grounding possibility.

JPILOT

It blew while I was craking to start---the second time.

On the first occation the fuse blew after I had it running----question the groundng solution.

Fun Times

It blew while I was craking to start---the second time.

On the first occation the fuse blew after I had it running----question the groundng solution.
Yes if the ground cable/wire is loose even a little bit it will get the power system hot and blow a fuse.

Also because it blows while cranking [The most draw on the system would be while starting] Then maybe by chance the wrong size fuse is being used from either new or maybe someone eles, That is If you are not the original owner;). To me a ten amp fuse seems to small, But i'm not really sure of that, You might want to look on the unit or maybe if you have a manual to the Generator see if it tell's you what size fuse should go in there just to be sure, And if not then here is a link to their web site, And it looks like they have a number you can call, Or you could email them thourgh their web site it looks like, This way you would get the right info needed to help you out better.;) I hope this info can help you out a little bit, Good luck with it. Let us know what you find out, Thank's:cheers:

1. How can I contact someone at one of your offices?

There are a couple of ways you can contact us. You can go to our Sales and Service locator and find an office closest to you, visit our Contact Us page or call us at:

JPILOT

Thanks Boat teck for your input. Yes, I do have a service manual however the wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. The key Q is what does the label INPUT protect. It does call for a 10 amp fuse however there are a number of relays that may interact with--i.e. "Ac Cranking Disconnect relay, Engine Run Relay--Fault shutdown relay.As you can see---simplistic--not. I do have a couple of calls out to local service types but I'm afraid I'll have to take the boat in for the final answer.

Thanks again.