Picked up a rare jet

fijjity

This is a 1976 Switzercraft GL20 I/O Jet
SwitzerGL20.jpg

They only made 12 of them and have yet to see one. I will begin the resto this month and see how far I can get before the ice thaws on the lakes.
I had to get it on the trailer and get it to the shop first. There were a bunch of leaves and junk in the bottom. It is always interesting to dig in the dirt and see what you find. I found an old for sale sign and called the number. Of course, he wants it back, but he should have thought of that before he stripped it out and sold everything that wa in it. It would have been nice to see it new!!. I will be posting a couple of what it looked like the day I got it. I took it to the car wash and vacuumed the junk out of it, pressure washed the inside after I removed the seats and carpet. It will need a new floor. The red paint will be removed and I will be sandblasting the old brown gelcoat to roughen it up. I am unsure what color gel and flake to put on it yet. I have quite a few to hoose from. Kristi, my wife would like to see it in green flake. Good choice I think...very bold. If we go with that i am thinking either white interior(everyone has white) or a tan with retro styling-maybe an avacado....LOL
SwitzerGL20rear.jpg

I will post more as I continue. I have a few more shots after the cleanup

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool.

Thanks for sharing. :)

It's should be neat when it's all finished up.

-Chris

fijjity

It's finally getting started on this year. Was hoping to start sooner but had to clear out some other projects.

Sean

Keep us posted here!! That is a very cool and unique boat.
Y'know, the ACBS just changed their rules to let "Contemporary Classics" compete in the antique boat shows...

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
It's finally getting started on this year. Was hoping to start sooner but had to clear out some other projects.
Thanks for the update!

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

Hopefully you'll share some pics of it as it progresses along. :thumb:

-Chris

sartobuilt

I was surfing around looking at boats for sale. Saw a newer Switzer for sale, then decided to search for some pictures of older boats like the on I had......... Low and behold I found Kenny!

Its good to see that there is more information out there and the stories on the iboat forum. Please keep up on updates with the restoration.

I wish I lived close, I'd be over to help every chance I had.

I still want it back!

Signed

The Guy on the for sale sign.