Ethanol

David L

Hi guys David L here again with another question. I have a 2012 Yamaha 90 horse four stroke. Since it is a newer motor should I be concerned with running ethanol gas in it or should I try to stick with non-ethanol gas.

Thanks again,

David

nathan

non ethanol is always best. the main thing that ethanol does damage to is the fuel lines and such. I always add Marine Formula STA-BIL® Ethanol Fuel Treatment and Stabilizer just to help. Yamaha recommends a minimum 87 octane fuel with no more than 10% ethanol. I also run my outboards out of gas before pulling out of the water so fuel does not sit in the engine but mine are carbureted not efi. I would ask your dealer about running it out of fuel. I would not thank it would do any damage but you might check or maybe one of the other guys will chime in on that one.

Will Switzer

I always use startron in all my marine stuff . Ive never had a problem and Ive been using it for quite a while now ... But like Nathan said I burn the gas out of mine too just so there isn't any fuel laying in the carbs or the lines ...

David L

Thanks Will and Nathan, my grandfather used to run the gas out of the motor years and years ago when I was a kid and that's before the introduction of ethanol. I had forgot about that until y'all mentioned it.

David L

Sean

Fuel stabilizer is the way to go whether you are runnin' her dry or not. There's always some fuel in there even after you run 'er out.
In Canada there is no ethanol in marine fuel. I hate paying for fuel on the lake and so, I fill up on the trailer as much as possible. Ethanol=bad but, it's not a new problem and is manageable.

David L

Thanks Sean, That sounds like a logical suggestion and I should probably use stabilizer even if I use non-ethanol fuel. There are two gas stations in town here that tout that the fuel they sell is ethanol free but I'm a skeptic and I have no way of knowing if they are on the up and up!

Thanks,

David L