convertible top

Earl's 86 Swirl

I have what I believe to be a convertible top (snaps to the windshield). The only other part I have to it is the bow. I'm not sure if it came another bow, or if that's the way they work. I can only seem to find 2 or 3 bow setups. Also, when I say that I only have the bow, that is it, just the bow and I'm not sure what else is needed. Lake Mead gets plenty hot in the summer, so some sort of shade is vital. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. :) (Sorry I posted in the wrong place, I'm new to this)

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Earl,

I'm not totally sure what you're asking.

Could you clarify and I'll try to help? :)

-Chris

Earl's 86 Swirl

OK, I'll try to be more consice. Is there such a thing as a single bow type of set up, or should I be looking for another bow? Also in reference to the bow that I have, the only things on it are the two mounting brackets that attach to the boat.... So, once the cover is snapped onto the windshield, I slide the bow through the cover, attach both ends to their respective hinge. Now what keeps the bow pushed back so that the cover remains taught, not falling back and forth? I hope that helps.... if it doesn't, Once I figure out how to send pics, I will. Thanks. Earl

Earl's 86 Swirl

OK, I will try to be more concise. Is there such a thing ,as a single bow type set up? And in reference to the bow that I do have, the only things on it are the two mounting points at the ends.... So, when once the cover is snapped to the windshield, I slide the bow through the cover, attach both ends to their respective hinge. Now what keeps the bow pushed back so that the cover remains taught and not falling forward? Hope that helped, if not when I figure out how to send pics I will.

Thanks, Earl

Earl's 86 Swirl

I'll try again

Ok, I will try to be more concise. I only have one bow, and the only things on it are two mounting brackets on both ends. So, once the cover is snapped to the windshield, I slide the bow through the opposite end of the cover and attach both ends to their respective hinge. Now what keeps the bow pushed aft so that the cover itself remains taught, not falling forward. Hope that helped, if not i will send some pics when once I figure it out.:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:Thanks, Earl :) Sorry for the triplicate post.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Are you Saying you have a bow cover for the front of the boat that snaps to the boat, And you would like to know how to keep the center of the bow cover pushed up to keep it tight so the rain water will run off insted of making a puddle, ect???:confused:

Earl's 86 Swirl

Thanks for responding. No, the cover is like a bimini. I read that it was called a convertible top rather than a bimini because the front of it snaps onto the windshield. Other than that they seem to be pretty similar, but like I said, I only have one bow (or at least I think that's what they are called), but once the top is extended, aft and taught, there is nothing to hold it there:confused: (20' seaswirl cuddy 1986)

Last edited:

Fun Times

• h_convertable.jpg
  • This photo is all i could find right now as for a starting point for a Convertable Top, Now are you looking for the two rear black straps with hardware to hold this open???;):)

Earl's 86 Swirl

Real close!

Actually that looks very similar. Except my top is longer, and the bow mounts farther back on the boat. I've found straps that also look similar. But on the bow itself, both sides equally have a discolored spot on them, like there was some sort of brackets on it (close to the center of both vertical sections). perhaps to attach shorter support poles to it, and the boat? Thanks again! :thumb:

Last edited:

Dale

I didn't know they made such a thing. That would come in really handy for boats with board racks where the bimini no longer works. It makes me wonder why I haven't seen more of them.

Good luck with your search Earl. You're asking the right people. There's many years of knowledge on this site.

Also thanks for the link (westmarine.com) Boat-Tech. This looks like a website I could get into. They seem to have everything.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well there are all kinds of different style roof setups as you're probably quickly figuring out.

I'm still not totally sure what you're asking, but you can get a roof that snaps to the top of the windshield, or you can get one that goes down in front of the windshield and has snaps on the bottom. You can also get one which has headroom, side curtains and a back curtain which you can leave up while you go. There are also the snap down flat style cockpit covers that don't really have headroom, so those essentially have to be taken off before taking off.

For the bow, there are seperate covers (bow covers) that snap down and then there are also pieces for closing off the area between the windshield and floor that cut down on the wind coming through.

You could try looking through some of the gallery brochures to see if you see something that gives you ideas.

Not sure if I nailed your question totally, but if not, ask some more and we'll do our best to help. :)

-Chris

dave

for most bimmi tops there are two bows, one longer bow that attaches through the rear cover and then to the gunnel and a smaller bow that is hinged from the aft one that leans forward through the cover and that will tighten it up.

Earl's 86 Swirl

Problem Solved

Thank's Dave. I went back to the gent that I bought the boat from, and as luck would have it he had a smaller bow for my bimini (he thought it was for another boat he had). Anyway, I have it now and the only thing missing is are the hinges, not a problem! Your post was very helpful! Thanks again.:)

Also I'd like to thank Boat tech, and Dale for their help as well... Cheers :cheers: