1968 Sears / Mcculloch 45 hp motor questions

n4cer26

Hello,
I'm new here and also fairly new to boats & outboards. I recently acquired a 1968 sears fiberglass boat with a 1968 sears 45 hp outboard motor which was made by Mcculloch. The water intake and outlet are just above the prop. I put a garbage can under the motor and filled it with water and the level came up about six inches or so over the intake / outlet. I started the motor which seems to run fine and water was sloshing and splashing out of the garbage can. I did notice though that the motor wasn't "Peeing" and it was getting hot, hot enough where drops of water on the head would bubble and evaporate. The engine was in neutral and at an idle. I checked the intake area and took off the cover. I slide a coke hanger up into the intake tube and found no obstruction. Friends are telling me I possibly need a new impellar but I'm not sure since it was bubbling all over the place. Anyone know anything about these old motors and how they behave? Looking for a good place for parts also....even if I don't need them now.
Thanks!

n4cer26

Also, in looking at my manual I have found that it has an "auto bail" feature which incorporates a second impeller. The fitting comes out on the side of the motor and accepts a hose which is supposed to go inside the bottom of the boat attached to a bailer foot. There is no hose hooked up to the fitting on the motor. Could this somehow be causing a problem? Should it fitting be closed / capped off? A dedicated bilge pump was installed on the boat prior to my ownership so either the auto bail wasn't working or the previous owner didn't know about the feature???

nathan

the bubbling is from the exhaust coming from the hub of the prop. if the engine is getting hot and there is no water "peeing" from the motor than it needs the impeller replaced. not water coming out of the top means no water going through the engine.

n4cer26

That's seems to be the general consensus. I have a manual on the way and will be attempted the repair myself. I hear an impeller replacement isn't to hard.
Thanks for the reply! If you know my motor and have any pointers to offer I will gladly take any advise. Thanks again!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a neat vintage set up. :thumb:

You'll probably want to see if you can find a water pump replacement kit, that comes not only with the impellar itself, but also with some other parts as well.

Given the age of your motor, that might be a bit tricky to find.

A good service manual is always good to have on hand. :thumb:

Let us know how you make out. :)

-Chris

n4cer26

Found the impeller and lower end gasket kit online. Gonna cost about $80 but it's worth it. The motor runs great

n4cer26

Well, finally got the impeller installed and fired up the motor. It spits water like crazy now! I have been working on the boat for about a month and have installed seats, battery, bimini top and tons of other stuff. I dare say she is ready to go into the water. Perhaps I will dump it in this Sunday for a test spin! Thanks for the help!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you got it up and running again!

If you go out, you should take some pics and share. :thumb:

Have fun. :)

-Chris