Engine upgrade??

jdmat

I own a 1996 Renken 230 Cuddy Cabin with a 4.3 LX Mercruiser and Alpha One stern drive. The engine has popped a freeze plug and looks to have some cracks in the water inlets from a stint in New Jersey (stationed there at McGuire AFB). I'm looking to just change the engine out but need to know how it would effect the boat itself. The boat topped out at 62mph with the 4.3 (V-6) but I'm thinking of moving it up a notch to the 5.0MPI(V-8) and Bravo One stern drive. Will this engine fit? Will it be too much for the hull? Any advice out there?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I own a 1996 Renken 230 Cuddy Cabin with a 4.3 LX Mercruiser and Alpha One stern drive. The engine has popped a freeze plug and looks to have some cracks in the water inlets from a stint in New Jersey (stationed there at McGuire AFB). I'm looking to just change the engine out but need to know how it would effect the boat itself. The boat topped out at 62mph with the 4.3 (V-6) but I'm thinking of moving it up a notch to the 5.0MPI(V-8) and Bravo One stern drive. Will this engine fit? Will it be too much for the hull? Any advice out there?
Hi jd,

I would think the original specs on the boat probably called for some different available engine options, have you checked to see what engines were available? That might be a good starting point. If the 5.0 or a similar engine was offerered, I'm sure there must be some performance specs kicking around as to what the hull would do with the different engine options including the 5L.

-Chris

jdmat

Thanks Chris for the advice. Not sure I can find the info you speak of. The company, Renken, was in the process of going out of business when I purchased and the only paperwork I have left is the mercruiser engine and stern drive schematics. Was hoping someone could stumble upon this thread that has a Renken or has knowlege of them. Got the boat for 1/3 the retail. It had never given us any issues until we had the hard winter in NJ. I will look for something on the net though.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Chris for the advice. Not sure I can find the info you speak of. The company, Renken, was in the process of going out of business when I purchased and the only paperwork I have left is the mercruiser engine and stern drive schematics. Was hoping someone could stumble upon this thread that has a Renken or has knowlege of them. Got the boat for 1/3 the retail. It had never given us any issues until we had the hard winter in NJ. I will look for something on the net though.
Hi jd,

I was thinking that there might be an old sales brochure kicking around somewhere - perhaps on eBay.

Most of those sales brochures will show the various options that are available and also engine choices that are available etc. The odd one will even include some performance data as well.

-Chris