Need a little advice!

Kristine

I've been looking for a new project to keep me busy. While driving down an old country road yesterday, I found this beauty! From what I can tell, it's a 1969 Trail-It Land & Water Cruiser Houseboat. Owner says it's been sitting in an old barn for the last 30+ years. The inside is ripped out but over-all, the boat seems semi sound. It doesn't come with a trailer. The one shown in the picture is just a make-shift one to pull it out of the barn. The hull shows some signs of rust spots and some prior welding has been done here and there. Beyond that, I know nothing else. The owner doesn't know much about it either. It belonged to his dad and he remembered boating on it when he was little. That's about it. The asking price is $2000 dollars. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't find much to compare it to because of its age. I'm worried mostly about finding a proper trailer and the condition of the hull. Thank you in advance for any replies!!

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/KristineEHall/library/?view=recent&page=1

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/KristineEHall/library/?view=recent&page=1

Sean

IMHO, that would seem a little steep for this boat.
It could cost a small fortune (or a large one) just to get it running and safe let alone making it comfortable and useable. engine, fuel system, wiring, pumps, gauges, steering, charging system etc.... Then lights, paint trim and the rest. Any mould? That's expensive too.

You can do much of the work yourself and save some $ but there is $ in time and parts to consider as well.

Ultimately, the value is in the eyes of the buyer... as has been said many times, "it's worth what someone will pay". How do YOU feel about it?

Kristine

Hi there. I appreciate your response. I kind of thought the price was high also given the condition it's in but couldn't really find anything to compare it to. I'm pretty sure he'll take less. I just need to come up with an offer that I'm comfortable with. Unfortunately, I've done the ultimate "no-no" when it comes to buying something...I've become emotionally attached to it! I think it's awesome. Last year I completely renovated a 1969 Shasta Camping trailer and loved every minute of it. I was actually looking for another old trailer on my drive yesterday. What could be better than one stuck on a boat? Haha

Anyway, I'm taking it slow on making a decision but would sure love to have it. Safety is of course my priority. Just curious...if you HAD to buy it, sight unseen, do you have any guess on what it may be worth?

Sean

Not any real guesses.... sorry. I don't know the houseboat market. What I can tell you is that boats are not selling so, it's a buyers market. Something as big as that takes up space so, instead of a price I'll share a strategy...

Start low. Like stealing it low.
You just may be surprised. I just acquired a classic 1961 wooden boat in great condition by trading an electric guitar. His asking price was $4,100. I didn't need the boat and was prepared to walk away but, I really liked the boat. So I made the trade offer and let him sweat it out. He wanted it gone more than he wanted cash so all in all it cost me about $1000. I don't play guitar so I was happy.

As it turns out he doesn't play guitar either... lol. He really wanted the space.