trim issue. please help.

gboat

I have a 2008 60 horsepower mercury 4 stroke efi. the problem is when you take off it runs fine, when you go to trim it up, if you hold the trim button for a second or more the engine will go back down to an idle until you bring the throttle back to the idle in gear poition. but if you take off and you give the trim button a bump,bump,bump it will reach top speed without any problems. ive noticed that if you hold the trim button down when you are at top speed it does the same thing.is this a sensor or a wiring issue etc.?

nathan

sounds like a short of some sort. but trim should not effect the idle or speed. have you checked the throttle cables to make sure they are not moving with the trim.

gboat

re trim issue

yes I have. it inly does it when its in the water and not on the trailer. is there a sensor on this motor that could be causing this. if so where is it and what does it look like,and whats it called?

Peels

i would be curious to see if there was a safety/speed sensor that tries to prevent trimming while at speed. If there wasn't, it would HAVE to be a short.

Wish I could help more. Little experience with outboards

Fun Times

Operating “Up” circuit will actuate the “up” relay (located under engine cowl) and close the electric motor circuit. The electric motor will drive the pump, thus forcing automatic transmission
fluid through internal passageways into the “up” side of the trim cylinder.

The trim cylinder/trim rod will position the engine at the desired trim angle within the 20
° maximum trim range. The power trim system is designed so the engine cannot be trimmed beyond the 20° maximum trim angle as long as engine RPM is above approximately 2000 RPM. The engine can be raised beyond the 20° maximum trim angle for shallow water operation,etc., by keeping the engine RPM below 2000 RPM. If engine RPM increases above 2000 RPM, the thrust created by the propeller (if deep enough in the water) will cause the trim
system to automatically lower the engine back to the 20
° maximum trim angle.

There is nothing sensor wise on the trim system that would interfere with bring down the engine idle. I would suspect something more along the lines of since it's happening while your holding down the trim button, maybe one of the power or ground cables have an intermittent electrical fault while the engine power is up producing more 12v power getting the electrical system warm.

You may want to try calling mercury customer service support with your engine serial number, I can faintly recall a few of the outboard engines having a bad ground cable placement on the engine block causing all sorts of problems. Maybe your experiencing something of the sorts.

Also make sure your battery is of the correct size.

Battery Rating,​

Minimum Requirement
465 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 350 Cold Cranking Amps(CCA).
For operation below 32

° F (0° C) 1000 Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) or 775 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA).