Midwest Spots?

Peels

New to boats...

Looking for cool spots here. Southeast Iowa, so we have the Mississippi of course...

Lake Rathbun, Red Rock...

Well have a trip to the Ozarks in July.

Wondering... Are there any GREAT spots here in the armpit of america, that are good family boating spots?

Tablerocker

In my opinion, you can't beat Table Rock Lake in Missouri. Beaver Lake in Arkansas is another good one. I've boated on Table Rock for over 22 years. Crystal clear deep water, un-matched scenery, and not very crowded unless you're up by Branson and the dam, and even that is not bad at all.

Firebolt420

Peels,
I'm very curious as to where you are at exactly in the armpit. Most really scenic and out of the way lakes are in MO, such as Mark Twain Lake and a lot of smaller lakes.
Okoboji is a really nice lake, but I think you are asking about closer 'Day Trip' spots which are kind of few and far in-between in that area, most are smaller fishing lakes that are called boating lakes but have 'no-wake' restrictions and hp/size restrictions like Geode.

Peels

FAR SE Iowa. 20 minutes from Ill and MO. New London, to be specific.

Usually we hit coralville reservoir, We enjoy it, but had some shallow water scares last week. So, the rest of the season Id like to spend on the Mississippi

We did lake of the ozarks for 4 days -WONDERFUL

on the way home, on a whim, we hit Mark Twain. It was fun, Not very crowded.. but it seemed a bit dirty shoreline just looked bad. Think it had seen recent flooding- and, It was BATHWATER warm. :) still had a good time though. Impromptu boat trips are the best.

Geode, well, it is maybe 5 miles from me. My wife wanted to put the boat in there just to say we did. not happening! Too much hassle to not get to cruise around.

Firebolt420

Ahh I know New London well, I lived in West Point and Ft Madison for way too long:rof:

When you are on the river where do you put in at?

Peels

Ahh I know New London well, I lived in West Point and Ft Madison for way too long :rof:

When you are on the river where do you put in at?

LOL oh man there are fewer towns I dislike more than Ft Madison. :) I only go there if we have to visit someone OR to eat at Amigo's! Wife's family all from that area. Or West Point and Denmark....

We put in at Burlington. Nice Ramp and dock. Haven't for awhile, but I really need to get that way SOON...There was plans to go to montrose...Have a friend who lives in Nauvoo, cruise across and visit..

sorta getting tired of having as much trailer time as we do water time. Burlington downtown is 22 minutes.

Firebolt420

LMAO, well unfortunately I was born there and as I've always said 'Like any black hole Ft Madison is always trying to suck you in' it has a much stronger affect on you when you are from there.

I spent most of my boat time putting in at Ft Madison and Montrose because there are a lot of really cool river destinations from there. Nauvoo is one of those cool destinations, it is really nice from the river.

The wife and I have planned on going to Ft Madison during Rodeo weekend but not for the Rodeo. We are going to bring the boat with us and while everybody is at the rodeo we will be down on the river:sssh:

Peels

well...be careful. I was out on the river, and managed to suck something into the prop, and take a chunk out. as well as a chunk of the lower unit. Just the protective "fin" above the prop. Must have spun it around and hit the fin...

nothing functionally broken, but still. ugh. Over the winter, Ill decide if i want to weld it, or replace it. Or just get a new boat... :)

Other than the "crunch", it was a great afternoon. lol maybe well see you out there.

Firebolt420

Peels, that sux to hear. I hope this goes easy and cheap on you.
I used to know of a really good prop and welding shop that could hook you right up for a good price but I can't find it online. I know he was located in a smallish shop on Angular and 5th in Burlington, but that was 10 - 15 years ago.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about this - maybe you can find a nice used prop to buy. :)

-Chris

Peels

I am ok on prop. I had actually just switched out the SS one that came on the boat. it was smaller diameter. THis was the stock one. Ill just go back.

the prop really isnt that bad like maybe a 1/4" chip. It was a remanufactured prop, too. ...but the section of the stern drive...that is bad. I think Ill weld it up over the winter.. It still runs fine for the rest of the season......

Peels

I lied, theres always a way! cant help it , I was out on the water, and I got hungry. LOL

IMG_0024.jpg

Peels

Been doing some searching, seems this is not altogether uncommon.

need some spare metal, and find a good local welder... No need to replace the whole thing... alittle elbow grease, grind sand paint...

voila. gives me something to do over the winter.

Firebolt420

You know Peels it looks like you might even be able to get a Hydrofoil and slap it on there for a temp solution till you can get it welded up.... just a thought.

Peels

You know Peels it looks like you might even be able to get a Hydrofoil and slap it on there for a temp solution till you can get it welded up.... just a thought.

yeah I was thinking that....but there.s not much to mount to. Id be afraid of snapping more....

Ive been looking at them, theres a few that MIGHT reach back far enough to mount.

we shall see.

Peels

A little update on that cav plate...

you can get replacement metal from a place called "skeg depot", that piece WITH semi circle half of the depression for the zinc plate was 29 bucks shipped. friendly folks on the phone, too. Down in Tx...

Having a friend here weld it this week....

Peels

I just threw out a hydrofoil.... bummer.

One of the big whale tail ones? No worries I didnt really wanna do that....if the metal is that brittle, bolting MORE to it wouldnt solve the problem I dont think.

heres the replacement......pretty good. :bigthumb:

photo.JPG