Viper with V6

ATVGUY

The older V6 Mercs seem to be lighter to put on my rebuilt Hydrostream Viper but I want light but also total reliability .Go with heavier new,rebuilt old ......????????

nathan

depends on money. the new motors are nice but high dollar. there is still a lot of older mercs out there running strong. and the rebuilt one depends on the rebuild. I am one who enjoys the older stuff so I would go old. some have a lot more character than the new motors.

ATVGUY

Thanks ,I like the idea of an older engine too . Plus on a smaller boat like this every pound counts. Just that reliabily thing (old electrical systems) seems to dog me .

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
When you say old, what years are you referring to?

To me, the 2.5L V6 Mercs were one of the best engines ever built.

The old inlines although not as reliable, certainly have a sweet sound though!

-Chris

ATVGUY

Hey Chris. So what years are you talking about and do you know how much they weigh ? The idea of an older motor is kind cool ,just worried about the reliabily factor ? How about those Leafs !

Mike

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris. So what years are you talking about and do you know how much they weigh ? The idea of an older motor is kind cool ,just worried about the reliabily factor ? How about those Leafs !

Mike
Leafs are perfect so far! Let's hope it lasts! :bounce:

The Merc motors that came after the inlines were the V6's and going from memory, they first had the 2.0L's then the 2.4L and finally the 2.5L models.

The 2.5's I think started being produced around 1992 or so.

When you say older motors, how old do you mean? 70's, 80's, 90's or the newer stuff. :)

-Chris

ATVGUY

Guess I'm asking about the ones that are lighter (under 350#) than the new ones . I have been reading stuff online and there seems to be issues with older ignition systems ? You have a v6 don't you ? Yeah I'm impressed with Reimer ???? They need an amazing goalie .

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I'm asking about the ones that are lighter (under 350#) than the new ones . I have been reading stuff online and there seems to be issues with older ignition systems ? You have a v6 don't you ? Yeah I'm impressed with Reimer ???? They need an amazing goalie .
I've got a 2.4L XR4. It's a great motor. Usually any Merc igntion issues are just your typical issues like bad stators or switch boxes.

What I would stay away from would be any older motors with mechanic igntion systems where you get into points, condensors etc. Points were notorius for failing out of adjustment and causing issues. The newer solid state stuff is much more reliable.

-Chris

ATVGUY

I will do some research to pick out the right years of engines . What year is yours and how many hp ? Did you get it new ? Thanks for the advice , just don't want to end up with something I'm not happy with.

capt

ATVGUY, as you probably know the viper will already be overpowered with a Merc v-6 referring to my vintage hydro stream catalogs the recommended hp for the viper was 120. Not to say but many 'stream owners overpower, however if you go with the 2.5(i also think it is the best Merc) you won't be able to go full throttle or you will certainly blow-over. I recommend an old Merc preferably a 2.0 because it is lighter and every pound counts. After all most 2.5 were the efi models with gobs of hp. But the 2.0 with maybe 150-175 or so would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Wish i was in your position

Last edited:

ATVGUY

Hi ,thanks for the input .Its kind of an old thread and I already bought an engine . I went with a low hr 88 2.4 200 Mariner . Went back and forth a lot between that a 2.0 and a 2.5. The 2.4 with chrome bores weighs 20# less than a 2.0 plus more hp and they are supposedly very reliable. As for blow over there are a lot of people out there with more hp than that. One guy in the states has the same motor on nitrus and pushes 330hp on a Viper . That said with this combination it will go over 90mph and I'm gonna be real careful.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi ,thanks for the input .Its kind of an old thread and I already bought an engine . I went with a low hr 88 2.4 200 Mariner . Went back and forth a lot between that a 2.0 and a 2.5. The 2.4 with chrome bores weighs 20# less than a 2.0 plus more hp and they are supposedly very reliable. As for blow over there are a lot of people out there with more hp than that. One guy in the states has the same motor on nitrus and pushes 330hp on a Viper . That said with this combination it will go over 90mph and I'm gonna be real careful.
You should show us some pics!

I love those old 'Streams. :devil:

-Chris