1992 Key Hopper

wrinklestar

I just joined the other day when I found this forum.
I bought this from a gentleman in Connecticut. I dont know much about them.
It is powered with a 1992 150 Mercury...and the boat trailer looks like it could carry a boat that weighs 10 times as much. Motor starts and runs well.
Is there anything I should be wary of on this boat?

Thanks
Craig

picture.php

picture.php

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We have a few guys that have joined that have key hoppers.

They seem pretty neat, I hadn't heard of them until the few members joined up. :)

-Chris

wrinklestar

I was looking for a flats boat to use in florida because I am down there a few times a year. Found this one in connecticut for 3500.00 . Like the boat but it took a little getting used to compared to what I have had in the past. I grew up on lake ontario and most everything I had or drove had a deep V. The wind will blow this thing around in circles if your not careful..:D

teamstillkickin

Hey fellow Key Hopper owners!I have a 1994 with a 150 Opti.I am the 2nd owner.I was told by the original owner I have the only one ever built with locking rod storage.Is this true?

rbodine

IMG00055_edited.jpg

Ive been running KH's for about 8 years, mine is a 1990 that now has a Yammi 250 on it. I absolutely love my boat, they run fast, fish decent..not like todays "flats" boats of course. You said you paid 3500..you got a steal, ive been watching them for several years, they bring anywhere from 10-18k if in decent condition with a good motor...so i say you did very well!

rbodine

The 1992's had a motor pocket in the transom, allowing the motor to be run higher, there is no wood in the transom's which is nice. Mine has a 60gal gas tank.
It would be cool to get a bunch of KH's together somewhere in FLA...if any interest, please hit us all up. i actually have names and phone numbers of about 6 or 7 KH owners in FLA.
CIMG0415.jpg

wrinklestar

I do end up in New Smyrna a couple of times a year. Although it is getting expensive to drag the boat back and forth to florida! Its in lake ontario now...
album.php

rbodine

oh damn, i didnt realize you were up north..that explains how you got it soo cheap..its a good lookin boat, enjoy it. I can also tell you that I have spoken to many people b/t here and the Keys and the ones that sold their KH's wish they hadnt!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool boat!

How does it run with the 250 on it?

What kind of top end would you get? :)

-Chris

rbodine

I run a saltwater series 23 on it, which is a good all around prop. I can pull a skier really well so top end is sacrificed a little, but on GPS i have gotten 65, that was with a full tank of gas and fishing gear. I am sure that with some tweaking on setup it could run better but i am happy. The biggest difference is being able to cruise at 50ish with little effort, motor is not running hard at all...it was like getting a new boat! There is a guy in south florida that had a Merc 300x but took his time with setup and hit mid 90's!! now thats runnin!

rbodine

I was thinking about it later, with this motor I have hit mid 70's on gps, its been so long since I played top speed, i forgot..