jet outboard

hi all!
my question is what is the performance difference between a yamaha 50/35 and a mercury 60/40 jet. both outboards are 2 strokes. the yamaha 50/35 give or take is 80lbs lighter then the merc 60/40. the motor will be going on a 1992 tracker pro 16. thank you

nathan

I am not expert on jets but I would think that the 80 lbs you save should help more that the hp.

Sean

I'm going to say it's even up.... you have to look at the power curves to see the differences then match to your usage.
You'll be happy with either.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You don't see too many of those outboard jets around.

You'll have to post some pics of it in action when you choose one. :thumb:

-Chris

the only reason i asked about the performance is because the yammi 50/35 displacement is 43 and the merc is 59 thats why i was thinking with the merc weighting more it would probably equal out with speed and performance. i prefer 2 strokes. i only take one other guy with me in my boat because any more then 2 is kinda crowded in a 16 footer. the motor is an early 1990s

Sean

As you know, 2-strokes are "torquey" and there's some truth to the addage that "there is no substitutr for cubic inches" when referring to engines....

Having said that, these 2 are close. The weight may be a small factor but I would be willing to bet the space under the torque curve on the dyno sheets will be pretty close.

I would lean towards the Merc for the increased displacement...but, Yamaha knows 2-strokes! It's a tough call....and all yours.

and thats why i prefer 2 over 4 strokes. well if they will be close in performance then from my first hand knowledge to me yamaha jet lower units seems easier to work on then mercs. i use to own a 95 xpress h51 with a 95 90/65 jet on it had to sell it because i got laid off acouple of years ago and had to do a water pump on that and it was cake work. my friend has a merc 60/40 on an 18 ft alweld and i helped him do the water pump on that and their were more pieces to take apart on that then the yammi

i was just thinking if the displacement of the 50/35 is 43 then technically that would be 30hp at the jet pump and not 35hp since jets you lose 30% power and the merc 60/40 displacement is 59 so then at the jet it would be 41hp. so in that theory wouldnt the merc be more torquey then the yamaha on the dyno and not even close in the power curve then?

Sean

Theoretically that sounds logical however, you are assuming all else being equal. Port size and shape, exhaust etc are all variables and the efficiencies of the motors will be different.

As I eluded to...size matters but, Yamaha made their name on 2-strokes so, I bet that theirs is an efficient motor. You really need some "hard" performance specs to compare and analyse in this manner... or it's all really just conjecture.

Do you have good servicing dealers for both nearby?

yes i do. i have 3 yamaha dealerships but only 2 id trust to do repairs within 35 minutes and 3 mercury dealerships within 35 minutes so its a toss up with dealerships

colors dont bother me. my boat color is aluminum/black/blue. im just trying to decide if its worth spending the extra money on a 2004 60/40 if im going to get the same performance out of a 1992 50/35 yamaha

Sean

My point is you really can't tell without seeing some sort of dyno sheet or an actual head to head test. From all the data you can only surmise that they are close...

I like the grunt of the larger displacement but, it is heavier, and I would bet less efficient than the Yamaha. If you have no prefrence for either manufacturer the Merc is "old school" and gets it done. The Yammi is "clever" and still gets it done.

How much $ is the difference (I'm leaning toward the Merc, but I'm over 50, lol).

well around my area the only 50/35s that ive seen in a 50 mile radius are 4 stroke hondas. i havent seen a yammi 50/35 in action. their are plenty of merc 60/40 2 strokes around that run id say about the 25-30 mph range on different length boats. their is a $1500 price between them. the yammi is a 92 and the merc is an 04.

what do you mean by "the Merc is "old school" and gets it done. The Yammi is "clever" and still gets it done"

Sean

I was backing up my previous points that Merc is a larger displacement and old school thinking is that "there is no substitute for cubic inches". That theory is proven. That motor is bigger, heavier, more powerful and (I'm guessing) less efficient.

In my thinking, Yamaha 2 strokes are "clever" as like many Japanease designs, they try to improve the process, do more with less. Yamaha cut their teeth on 2 strokes and probably has done more research on 2 strokes than any other company. I believe there is way more engineering in the Yamaha than the Merc.

I just read...the Merc is 12 years newer. Everything else being equal... That's the one I'd buy. No contest, no matter how much I liked the Yamaha.

Last edited:
i was looking on the internet and doing more researching and got alittle curious and i found something out that a yamaha 2001 40hp jet ( not sure if its a 40/30 or 60/40) 2 stroke are the same displacement, bore and stroke as the 50/35 yamaha jets

going down tomorrow and closing the deal on the merc jet. i did some talking the last couple of days and i got them to throw in a 3 month warranty for free. that was the deal breaker for me

Sean

Sounds like it was the DEAL MAKER !!!
Congrats on your purchase. Please post up some pics if you can and let us know how you like it when you get it wet.

Cheers :)