1972 Steury v518

dave

it's not much different than changing an outboard impeller, just seperate the lower leg and you will see the water pump housing over the drive shaft. take note of what way the fins are laying so you put it back the same way. when you go for parts tell them you need a kit for a MR drive, mercuiser 165 was the horsepower rating for the engine not the model of the drive.

schalmat

Hi All, Just piched up my new used boat, 1973 v-518.pretty good shape,I have pics if you would like to see.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All, Just piched up my new used boat, 1973 v-518.pretty good shape,I have pics if you would like to see.
Welcome aboard-nice to have you with us.

Let's see what cha got. :thumb:

You can load your pics up into our photo-gallery if you like just put them in the Steury category. Then once their loaded into the gallery, you can then link them into this thread using the posting code that the photo-gallery provides. :)

-Chris

schalmat

heres one side shot,got more on the way,it has the origional seat config with 3 folding seats in the front and 2 by the motor.cant wait to get it on the water! Whats the top speed on these boats with the 165 mercruiser?
GetAttachment.aspx

Download

schalmat

heres one side shot,got more on the way,it has the origional seat config with 3 folding seats in the front and 2 by the motor.cant wait to get it on the water! Whats the top speed on these boats with the 165 mercruiser?
GetAttachment.aspx

Download

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi schalmat,

Unfortunately, we can't see your pics as they're hotlinked from site that won't allow it.

If you want to upload them into our gallery, I'll do my best to get your pics fixed up. :)

-Chris

schalmat

Hi Chris,,,
got them uploaded into the gallery, i 'm not sure how to load them onto a reply though.anyhow they're under my username ,,,thanks for the help.
schalmat
Matt Schall

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for the help chris ! started cleaning off the oxidation,whats a good wax to use on it? matt
Well, that's a loaded question! Ask a hundred boating enthusiats and you'll probably get as many passionate answers.

I guess the right answer depends on the condition of the gel.

If the gel is really oxidized, you'll want to get some kind of compound that will cut the gel a bit. Then after, you'll want a polish.

I know 3M makes some really nice stuff, just make sure you stick to marine products designed to work on gel coat. Stay away from auto products as some can actually cause gel to yellow.

Did you happen to find the old Steury brochure that I posted in the gallery? I figured you probably already saw it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

-Chris

schalmat

Hey Chris,
I went over the area above the transom above the rub line .I used some water and comet.I wet it first ,then sprinkled a small amount of comet on an old sock .used minimal pressure as its not oxidized too bad.it came clean very easily,then used some turtle wax on it and hit it with the electric buffer,came out really nice! good shine.Over the winter i will remove the snaps and rails and such and do the rest of the boat,just want to make sure i get the right wax.I'll try the collinite stuff and use several coats.then I'm going to paint the hull.And attempt the seats as the tops of them are split and i doubt i could match that green color.Cant wait to get it done.oh yeah ,,,cool literature!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Try to stick to marine waxes if you can that are designed for fibreglass. They are designed to work with gelcoats. It's not that the others don't work, they do, just not very well sometimes, as in they don't hold up very well and some also don't let the gel coat breathe properly or can cause the gel to yellow or discolor prematurely which is obviously not good.

If you want to go "all out", you can get some compound and an electric buffer which works really well. You just have to be careful with the buffer and compound as you want to make sure you don't burn the gel coat. When done properly though, it's the best way to clean up oxidized gel. Then once you're done with that step, you then put on some really good marine wax a couple of times a season.

Show us some pics as you progress! I love the oldies as there are lots of good memories built right into them. :)

-Chris

rob.o

hey roy i recently bought a steury myself supoosedly the person i bought it from has the original manuel im waiting to here back from him if i do i will share with you..also if u come across anything i would appreciate some info im a new boat owner mine needs a little deck work and engine work but not much..

thanks rob.o

rob.o

hey roy i recently bought a '72 steury myself im waiting on the original owners manuel from the person i bought it from..im new to the boating community sp if u come across anyhting on it it would be greatly appreciated i also will share anything i find..im lookng for new seats and i need a section of the decking repared..

thanks rob.o