ski or board?

bklait

we are a "new to boating family" (2 years) we have a 2004 fourwinns horizon with the 5.7 280hp i/o. We have been tubing (17yr old boy, 11 yr old girl + friends) The boy wants to either wake board or ski, there is no tower or ski pylon, only the tow ring at the transom. For true beginners would the wake board or skis be an "easier" option.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest getting a set of combo skis first.

If you get a good set, they will usually come with one ski that is also a slalom ski.

Wider skis are usually easier for beginners to learn on as they're easier to get up on.

That's just my .02 cents. :)

-Chris

I would suggest starting out with skis first to learn gettin up on water. As Chris stated, a pair of skis usually has one with a slalom boot so you can transition to one if you like. I also would check into a two handled ski rope for starting out on slalom or wakeboarding. Check out Overtons as they usually have a good selection with decent prices.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
If you go to any decent ski and wakeboard shop, they can probably give you good advice as well.

Companies like Connelly usually have decent combo sets.

Here's a link to one set.

http://www.connellyskis.com/connelly-combo-pair-cayman.php

Just remember that wider skis are always easier to get up on for newbies. And if you get a good set of combos, you can learn to slalom, as they will usually include on slalom ski in the combo set.

Once someone masters the combo slalom, they can move up to a dedicated slalom ski. :)

-Chris

Well its two quarters in one hand and fifty cents in the other. my kids do both .one started on skis and one on a board then they switched. its all in what they want to learn first as each is a different type of ride.:surf:

n2omichael

I would lean towards skiing first, I started when I was around 6, long before wakeboarding was "big". I found its much easier to get "up" on a pair of wide skii's then on a wakeboard, although, children learn much faster than adults, so, it might be easier for a child. Check Ebay and your local Kijiji/Paper as well, I often see ski's, tubes, boards, etc for sale cheap on those sites, if you find something local it saves on shipping too [tubes are "heavy" to ship, skis and boards are big]
I actually found an older Obrien ski for $25 on a local site, its a salom ski [only has a toe plate rear] but, for $25 I couldn't turn it down.

Good Luck!