Has anybody experience with....

Sean

SEI stern drives?

I'm looking to rebuild my Alpha at the cost of about $1000 to $1200 and I see I can have a NEW replacement from SEI for around $1300. The SEI has a 3 year warranty too!

As a bonus I can choose my gear ratio from the 1.81:1 (I have 1.84:1 now), 1.64:1 or 1.49:1...

There's nothing wrong (that I know of) with my Alpha drive other than age and cosmetics.... so, I could sell this drive to help offset the cost of the SEI. Then I have a new drive that looks good when my boat hits the show circut :)

If you have some experiece with these, or have a story from a friend who has....post up please!

Thanks,
S.

nathan

I know a few people that have used the SEI drives and love them. they also have a great warrenty to them.

john lamon

I also know a few that have them, some have had good luck others not so good, I know that they are very easy to deal with if you have an issue, one buddy and to send his back for something and they even covered the shipping.

My local Mercury dealer say's they are junk, lots of problems he claims.

Sean

I'm contimplating doing this. Seems like a small enough risk.

Those that sell genuine Mercury seem to dislike SEI, but most other reports have a good reccomendation. I did hear of an abnormally quick corrosion problem one guy had but SEI took care of it ASAP. It seems like they really stand behind their warranty.

I contacted SEI for some info and they were back to me in just an hour or two. They answered all my questions and even offered to analyse the dyno data from my fresh rebuild to ensure correct chouce of gearing!

Tablerocker

I've a few friends in the business and frankly, about the ONLY people that don't like SEI work for or sell Mercury/Mercruiser. One of my friends who works at a large marine dealer has told me that a lot of insurance companies push SEI lower units HARD as replacements for Mercruiser Bravo 1 lower units, for example. One reason for this is that Mercruiser seems to always be in some sort of predicament to where they don't have outdrives or particularly lower units available, and naturally owners are wanting to get their boats back in the water. Supposedly Mercruiser isn't real happy with SEI in general, they have NEVER liked competition in the marketplace.
SEI has a good reputation and is especially well-known for its Customer Service.

Sean

Thanks Rocker...
I am convinced this is the way to go...

Too bad they don't have Transom gimble mounts too.

Tablerocker

Thanks Rocker...
I am convinced this is the way to go...

Too bad they don't have Transom gimble mounts too.

There is something weird with that, yes. I don't know if there are patents or proprietary rights involved or what...but yeah, something is odd. I have always been surprised by the seeming self-imposed limit on SEI products. I don't think they offer anything other than lower units for Bravo 1 applications and nothing for any other Bravo unit.
Or maybe they simply are "successful enough" with their existing products and don't want to invest a bunch of R&D into new products.

Sean

Nobody has bought my ALPHA one yet...so I have not ordered an SEI replacement.

I would like a nice new paint job on the drive...and I'm hoping it's not a can of "tremco" on my ol' Merc!