Learning My Boat

dwleo

Hi,
My wife and I recently (June) bought a new (to us) boat. We were looking at a 22' Fibreform but ended up with a 29' (I know, I know) Campion, twin 4.3 Mercs I/O. We have done, last summer a couple of weekend trips and a 5 day tour. Very comfortable boat to ride in and sleep in.
The former owner knew a bit about the boat but not much and he had it for a couple of years. Several breakers were old and constantly tripped (not overloaded, just tripped and too old to be reset). Since the acquisition, I have rewired the windlass for the anchor (no 'up' wire on the switch) changed the breaker for the waste dump, and more or less made things work like they were supposed to. There was no manual with this boat so I contacted Campion but since this boat is 1995, they don't have anything for it except a brochure. That was good since it gave the capacities for the fresh water and waste and fuel. The Espar heater still needs work as it doesn't work either but they (Espar) sent me diagrams, schematics, etc. and were very helpful. First gas-up was a killer - $656.00!!!! And this is where my questions start for this forum.
The former owner said the optimum gas save consumption was when cruising at 3800 RPM. Due to his lack of knowledge about the boat, I do question this statement. How does one determine this figure?
He also said he could go from Lions Bay to Nanaimo to Victoria back to Lions Bay on one tank of gas. I can't see that and would not try it and would stick to 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule.
The engines are strong and the only problem has been changing the fuel filters as one caused a bit of a problem. The hour meters show 1000 on the engines and as my previous boat was 18' outboard 15 years ago, this means nothing to me. Is the hourmeter for service, rebuild, or ...???
Thank you for any and all help with this boat.

- D

nathan

The former owner said the optimum gas save consumption was when cruising at 3800 RPM. Due to his lack of knowledge about the boat, I do question this statement. How does one determine this figure?

just like a car a boat get it's best gas consumption because low rpm and if it is on plane there is less drag on the hull out of the water. in time you will be able to see where the best setup is for your boat.

The engines are strong and the only problem has been changing the fuel filters as one caused a bit of a problem. The hour meters show 1000 on the engines and as my previous boat was 18' outboard 15 years ago, this means nothing to me. Is the hourmeter for service, rebuild, or ...???

Hour meters are useless unless you can prove that the engines have never been change and that the meters only work when the engines are on. alot of hour meters come on when the key is turned on, not only when the engines are running so it can look it there is more hours that it actually have. also if either of the engines have been redone usually the hour meters are not reset.

good luck with the boat and only time will help you learn what the boat does and does not like.