Advice on outboards

Whats better

• Total voters

Twokidsoneluv

Hi, okay so i am looking into buying a Ranger or a Champion Bass boat for my first purchase. They are both 18.5 footers, but the Champion has the Merc. 150 xr6 and the Ranger has the Johnson 175 VRO. The engines are both from the 80's (I think). I have read up on both and the merc seems to have better reviews, the Johnson has bad because of the VRO. What is the VRO stand for and why does it suck? Any Advice on these two? Thanks

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The Merc XR6's weren't made until 1992 or so, so it will be from at least that time of after.

Personally, I think the 2.5 L Mercs which the XR6 is are one of the best motors Merc has ever made. The VRO is an acronym for a oil injection system which is on that motor. It stands for Variable Ratio Oiling, if I remember correctly.

Personally, I like the Merc better when new, but at this point you will also want to check the condition of each engine and see what kind of shape each is in. :thumb:

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect, thank you very much. The merc is what I was leaning towards, but you just made it that much easier.
I would get it checked out thoroughly. A check over by a good mechanic is always a plus.

At the very least, a compression test or even better yet, a leakdown test should be part of that check over.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

-Chris

Valkyrider

In todays world I really like the 4 stroke suzuki but i owned a 150 merc xr6 and it would fly and it was tough. Fuel consumption was good also. If the motor is in good condition then it is a good choice. If it was like mine it has two modules on it and if one goes bad then you can run on three cylinders and still fget home.

Sean

You might also consider parts and service in your area. Around where I am, Merc is the motor of choice as service and parts are seemingly everywhere... I'd have to look hard to find a Johnson dealer.

Obviously, I'm a Merc guy :)