can i put a bigger motor then what my boat is rated

tampatoker

:bounce: I have a 19 center console proline its rated for a 160.Can i put a bigger motor on it? If so how much bigger can i go? this is my 1st boat and i know nothing about boats please help Thank you:cheers:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
People do exceed the limit, the problem with doing so though, is that your insurance company might not be willing to insure you. So you would want to check that out.

And also, the laws about doing so vary from place to place, so you might want to check and see what the laws are in your area about overpowering.

-Chris

Enticer1

Check the Weight

Toker, in the Merc line of 2.5 Liter motors the 150, 175, 200 ect all weigh the same. I had a 2.0 135 on my Checkmate Sportsfire and changed over to a 2.4 200 that weighed the same. Needless to say it got on plane much quicker. I agree with Chris 100% about the insurance issue but if you find a deal on a motor of the same weight just use your brains while driving and you should be fine.

Doug in Tampa

PS: to much horse-power is just right!!!!

Art

Other than weight, you need to consider added thrust aginst your transom. A 150 and a 200 might weigh the same, but the 200 will push allot harder. Can your transom take it? I was just looking through the restore forum and saw a pic where the motor pushed holes in a transom, dunno if it was overpowerd, but something to think about.

Art

capt

You probably want to reinforce your transom. My friend has a overpowered baja he put extra layers of fiberglass and a steel plate on his transom to cope with a 30hp overpower v-4 to v-6.
Nuff said