1978 North American

berttosh

I just posted a hello in the introductions section.

We've recently inherited a boat and we know nothing about it!

According to the title paper we found in my wife's uncles papers it's a 1978 North American 19' inboard. It was originally from Florida but brought up to Niagara a few years ago. I haven't yet untarped the boat to get a proper look at the motor in it so I'm not even sure what powers the thing right now LOL.

With the long weekend upon us in just hours here, we'll be untarpping it this weekend.

I tried looking for a manufacturers website but didn't find one.

I'm hoping get some direction and advice on locating information about this boat - could there be a manual out there somewhere in the universe???? It looks like it's in pretty good shape and I'd love to learn how to restore it.

Bert.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Bert,

See if you can find the hull indentification number. It should be stamped into the back right hand side of the hull.

The first three letters indicate the manufacturer.

If you post the letters here, we can probably look them up and see what we can find out. :)

-Chris

berttosh

Thanks Chris. I look for that next weekend.

I did get the boat untarpped this weekend. It looks like its in half decent shape - just some cleaning and upkeep I hope. The engine is a 4 cylinder Mercruiser Mariner. The distributor cap and plugs actually looked pretty new.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. :)

When you get it cleaned up and know what it is, let us know and perhaps you can upload some pictures to our photo gallery and then post them here in your thread. :thumb:

-Chris

berttosh

Well, so far I've learned a few things today. Between some web searching (frustrating!) and the friendly folks at the Nautical Mind bookstore, there just isn't a lot of info readily at hand.

I have determined that the North American boat manufacturer of Fort Lauderdale, FL, aside from being confused with the North American Fiberglass manufacturer, went out of business in 1981.

The boat is a S-19 model with an inboard/outboard system.

The manuals for the the Mercruiser Marine engine are apparently out of print, but, I might have some hope of getting one through the Mercruiser website.

I'll get some pics next weekend.

leaken42

North Americans are good heavy boats (had a 24 cuddy). But if left in the water are prone for stringer and transom rot. Be sure and check the O/D seals as they can have a trendency to leak and rot also. Good luck with it we enjoyed ours, good rough water boat.