1975 Checkmate Vmate restoration

Will Switzer

I got a good deal on the boat and trailer package so I dicided to go ahead and buy it and rebuild it and keep it on the water . This boat is going to be for me only . No water sking,tubing or anything like that . Just for me to get out and tear up the lake . My trimate will be my ski boat ....

Picture402.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture410.jpg

Picture413.jpg

Picture406.jpg

Picture401.jpg

Last edited:

Will Switzer

I have most of my parts . Still looking for a 15 ft Mercury ride guide cable . I have my gauges etc. Im going to hang a 150hp Merc Inline six on the back too . That will be getting sent out here to Wayne in s.c. for him to rebuild for me. Everything for the transom to the floor and stringer to sanding and repainting . Its getting it all .

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

My new wheels for the trailer

Picture414-1.jpg

Will Switzer

Was able to save the bucket seats too and a big plus . Not really sure if I am going to re-install the rear seat bench or not . might just have a cover made for the back to close off the bilge area . That will free up a little more weight and give me a little more speed . Every ounce counts lol .

Picture417.jpg

Picture414.jpg

Picture415.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

All that was left of the old wood

Picture416.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

Will Switzer

Now I just have to wait for some warmer weather so I can head up to the lake and get to the boat . Cant wait to get started . Would like to have it finished this year :surf:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good Will! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing that.

Spring is just around the corner, so hopefully you can get working on it soon. :)

-Chris

Will Switzer

Picked up a few Mercury chopper props . A 24 p Chopper and a 26 p Chopper . Cant wait to try them both out and see what prop is better .Its gunna be a fun Summer :surf:

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

Will Switzer

My New 15ft Mercury Ride guide cable came today :D Along with a few other things Like New set of Moly piston rings . I also have new plugs on the way and brand new upper and lower motor mounts . There are still just a few little things I still need but other than that I have most my parts .

Will Switzer

Its been quite some time since I have posted but I do have some up dates . I have the motor and boat finally home and gunna start working on her here soon .

Will Switzer

Here are a few pictures of the motor and the engine stand . Had my uncle make a plate for me to hang the outboard on a car engine stand ...

IMAG0018-1.jpg

IMAG0019-1.jpg

IMAG0020-1.jpg

Will Switzer

Also picked up a new external wire harnes that goes from the control box to the motor . The old one is a real piece of junk And today was the last time it will be used ...

IMAG0247.jpg

Will Switzer

Here is a short Video from this morning of the old girl running . First time that I have had it running since memorial weekend 2008 . She runs good at idle but thats it . It started right up after sitting 3 seasons. This will be the last time its ran before its torn down and rebuilt . Number 1-3-4-5-6 all have 140 psi of compression and number 2 only has 35 psi . Definetly needs a refresh .....

Thats big money Bud holding the gas tank (dont know why dad calls him that lol) and the tall bald guy is my dad lol

Will Switzer

Got out today and cleaned up the garage and made room for the boat . I plan on starting on it thursday since that is my next day off . I went out today and picked up some glass and some paint stripper ... Started stripping the paint off the top cowl from the motor .

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

Will Switzer

Stayed up all day got out of work at 5am came home ate and took off to grab the boat and get it back home and start doing something . Got the leaves all out of it and the carpet didnt look to bad after a quick Vac job

IMAG0032.jpg

Will Switzer

Than after that I decided to mess it all back up again and tear the carpet out . Managed to get it all out in one piece .

IMAG0033.jpg

With the carpet up and floor exposed can now see how bad it really was . Carpet sure hides alot

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

Will Switzer

So I decided since I got that far I mise well start cutting out the old floor . What was left of it any how ....

IMAG0036.jpg

With most of the Floor out you can see all the wet nasty foam . After I had removed it and tossed it in a buck the water had ran out of the foam and I probably had about 2.5 gallons of water in the bucket .

IMAG0038.jpg

Will Switzer

Removed the foam and stringer from the area I cut the floor out off . Still have the bildge area to still remove and the front bulk head ...

IMAG0041.jpg

Most of the core is still solid and intact. The dark area toward the back in the area of concern . Can hear when taping on it that is rotten underneath ...

IMAG0039.jpg

Will Switzer

Transom has to been done also . Some one at one time had two different Mercs on the back . Can see the 70's style bracket marks and the newer bracket marks . They also drilled alot of holes and siliconed them in . And it must have leaked beacausw there was silicone all around the area where the transom bracket would have been ...

IMAG0043.jpg

Will Switzer

Got out today here before I leave here for work and removed the wood from under the bow to access the foam . Got that out in one piece too . Even though the center was completely rotten . I wasnt going to touch it today since I have to work and just wait till tomorrow since I have it off but I just cant leave this thing alone lol

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg