Suzuki DT 200 EFI wont start when hot?

redbull760

i I have just bought a boat with a Suzuki DT 200 HP on the back i think its a 1998. Its a 2.7 lt EFI model

It has just been serviced. It starts first time when cold but when its been running even for a few min it won't start for about 40 min. It seems the starter moter is geting very very hot even though it starts quickly from cold. Until the starter motor cools down it wont re-start????

When it running with some revs it sounds and goes great, on tickover it splutters a bit and dies after about 40 seconds unless you give it a bit of throttle. Dont know if the two problems are conected? or seperate issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stuart

marevicos

I have a similar problem with a 2004 DT200. I'm checking on vapor lock. I noticed that my starter got very hot as I tried to start after leaving off for about 30 minutes.

marevicos

I think I will agree with the starter. I ruled it out at first as the starter was replaced last September. It wan'ts to turn over but acts sluggish as if the batteries were low but they are fully charged (also changed out last fall and kept charged). It doesn't burn oil and the heads are not that hot.

I was at first thinking that valves may be sticking and not releasing the cylinder pressure and the resistance was straining the starter. I'm not a real mechanic so I'm giving up and will take it in and hope the mechanic can figure it out on one charge.

nathan

if you had a sticking valve it would not run. pull the plugs and turn it over and see how it turns over.