TOTAL NOOB! (advice)

Peels

I love that you folks say 40 is young.

please tell me son, and a few of my coworkers that :)

Yesterday, I was training a young man to cover one my clients while we're on vaca next week... he did not know who Ed Mcmahon was when I referenced him.

He was born....the year I graduated....

Peels

So I saw this coming home from the in laws in Indiana this week.

<facepalm> no transom straps even.

image.jpeg

Sean

That belongs right up there with the "Tales from the boat ramp" video!

Man, we could get rich :)

Peels

indeed...

I suppose We've been rather spoiled, and taken most boat trips on off days, aside from 4th of July(less crowded).

We were out on the Mississippi over the weekend...which we pretty much skipped all last year except for VERY early and late in the season...for that very reason.

eek. the crazies come out. tried to find a spot to beach so the kids could play in the sand. crowded with drunken kids, and adults.. oh well.

*also, I failed to mention: Had some extra vaca...so Tuesday Last week went out, we had our first "scary" boat experience. There was a pop up midwest thunderstorm, it defied my most keen radar skills. We were sitting beached, on island, kids playing frisbee, listening to the radio... sky gets dark, so we pack up. start heading south to the ramp. and see this!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAGPQ/SmcS-6mvu0M/w1078-h809-no/IMG_0889.JPG

theres a bridge in that photo, maybe 1/4 mile...but you cannot see it. so the pic I actually had come about and was travelling north by then. I was watching it grow on the radar, it rolled right into where the boat ramps are.. And we can only go so far north.....we were trapped by the lock (#18) BUT, the storm went east, directly to our south. I actually squeezed between two rather nasty cells that made hail on the Illinois side. we only saw rain.. To add to the fun...while waiting out the first cell to go by, I drifted into a rock pile slight <crunch> no damage, just really bad feeling, and a panicked wife.

so headed back south SLOWLY. the storm blew up waves like id never seen, at least on a RIVER. nasty big 5-6 footers for about a mile...coming fast and hard. Ive been through that before, but long before having my own family, and with a MUCH bigger boat. lol Our boat now is only 17' :YIKES:

just plowed through them bow up... if we would have been sitting when the waves came, wed have been SOAKED OR WORSE. My older son was sorta terrified...wife as well. luckily, I had SOME experience. It was funny...theyd change from "go faster!" to "STOP!" to "can we sell the boat, dad?" I'm like "umm...no!" lol There was another boat in the same predicament. They came to check on me when they saw me in the rocks staring at my stern drive..... We knew they were there, its a common area we go to, but I was transfixed on the sky. very nice folks.

anyways...now, my family has been through it...we all came out laughing, more experienced, and better for it....and she now knows why I dont want to take it to the ocean for vaca....

end of the season is closing in... weve got 3-4 more trips planned. its been a lackluster summer, weather wise. flood followed by abnormally cold temps. Not to say i wanna complain, because weve had fun for sure, just kinda bummed, the kids go back to school next week, just spent a fortune on school shopping LOL. :(