power plant help

nathan

Hello guys I need some help/ideas. as I start to think about the rebuild on my 1983 chaparral 235 xlc I started thinking of what power plant to put in it. it originally would have came with a mercruiser 260 hp (chevy 350). I was given the boat with no motor or outdrive. I picked up a parts boat a few years ago with a mercruiser 888 (ford 302). also we have another 302 that my dad picked up in a fairlane that has a decent build to it. my original thought was to do a mild rebuild on the 888 to have a reliable power plant that would make a good cruiser.

so what would be you all recommendation on a power plant. I am not looking to make the boat the fastest on the water just a good boat that my family can enjoy. also the "max" HP for the boat is stated to be 260 HP and has an alpha drive.

should I

1. rebuild the Mercruiser 888 with just a mild rebuild with a four barrel carb.

2. used the ford 302 out of the fairlane that is supposed to be rebuilt to be a drag car engine.

3. look for a mercusier 260 that may need some work.

4. look for a 454 big block. it may not fit and maybe to big for the boat. I would also have to find a bravo drive.

thank you for your input. I have to replace some of the floor on the boat before I can get the motor in it. so I have some time. I wish I could just go buy I boat ready to go but there is no chance of that happening any time soon. there is no money for that and it would take years to save up for that.

Sean

I'd put another SBC in.

The drag engine would not be a good marine engine without a rebuild...cams pistons etc...remember it was built for another totally different specific purpose.

I wouldn't use any Ford engine unless it came with one originally.

A BBC is nice...but, too much $$$ to do it right and a lot more $$$ in gas when she's done.

SBC engines are easy to find cheap to rebuild and well documented for marine use so you know exactly what to put in it.

Fun Times

I picked up a parts boat a few years ago with a mercruiser 888 (ford 302). also we have another 302 that my dad picked up in a fairlane that has a decent build to it. my original thought was to do a mild rebuild on the 888 to have a reliable power plant that would make a good cruiser.
Anything wrong with the 888 that it requires a rebuild at this point that you know of?

Do you have the drive, transom assembly, and the ford exhaust y pipe? there's different sizes between GM, ford 302, 351, y pipes so look out for that $$$.;)

Good luck with the project.:):cheers:

nathan

the 888 has been sitting for at least four year. covered but was not well covered when I got it. it was supposed to be a running motor when I picked it up but they had the boat in pieces trying to restore it before I got it. If I use the 888 I am going to tear it down for my own piece of mind. we kept everything from the old boat. so we have it all. my boat has through hull exhaust as well as the standard exit. So I have to figure out which I want to use.

Sean why the hate for ford? I can tell you the only chevy left in the boat is the gimbal. other than that it is all gone. I would prefer to put a chevy back in it but unless I can find on at a good price it may not be an option.

Sean

No hate for Ford.... just looking at the costs of switching.

If you have to rebuild the 888 anyways, whats the difference of which motor you start with? a core? Also, SBC parts are a whole lot more plentyful and usually less expensive. The combinations of different spec parts are well documented and you can build what you need/want (the first time).

nathan

I am just giving you a hard time. I want to be able to talk my dad out of this motor but he just keeps saying that we have and we did not pay anything for it so we are already ahead. I would prefer a 260 hp chevy 350 but we would have to find on with all the accessories. we have everything to the 888 even though it is not my preference. I would actually like a 454 with a bravo but that would also take finding another junk boat to get it from. and a few modification.

Sean

Sounds like your Dad has already set the benchmark...
Maybe do some research on what parts you'll need to stuff the 888 in the boat and price them out.
Thay might help clarify any decisions before real cash is spent.

nathan

he is a bit hard headed! I tried to tell him that if we purchased a similar boat that was complete and we would be ahead money wise and he would not believe me.

Sean

Y'know, this Chappy is not a bad lookin' hull. with some imagination (and expirimentation) you could build a pretty cool hot rod...

I guess you'll have some time to think about that now while you pimp out the pontoon...

nathan

I believe so. we are taking the pontoon out this coming weekend on lake Georgetown to go fishing then it is back to my place with it to start the rebuild. so between fish my father and I will discuss layout of the pontoon and future plans for the chaparral.

Sean

maybe I should send you down some Canadian Beer...then your dad might agree to just about anything.
Think BIG block :)