New Member, John of Johnny's Marine Service

Hello All! John here. I am new to this sight and wanted to introduce myself. I just opened Johnny's Marine Service and I live in Jensen Beach, FL. I have been building fiberglass boats for over 20 years and welcome any questions you may have about repairing, restoring, or customizing your boat. Check out my poll in the open boating forum.:surf:

dave

hi john, welcome to the site, whatproduct have you found to be the best at restoring faded gell coat?

Thanks for the welcome, Dave. For bringing that faded gelcoat back, I would recommend some good old fashioned elbow grease. First, lightly sand it with 1200 grit paper. Then water it. Then polish with 3m super duty compound first(don't get the marine stuff, too expensive, the regular brown super duty will do just fine). Then, to get that shine, use Aquabuff 2000 (http://www.aqua-buff.com/site/478459/product/AB2000) for a fine finish and to bring out that shine that the 3m wouldn't bring.

yolanda

Official EB Photographer!
Hello John, welcome aboard!

So 20 years...Wow. What would you say is your favorite thing about restoring boats and what was your most favorite boat to work on and why?

My favorite thing about restoring boats.....

Hi Yolanda,

My favorite thing about restoring boats is the thank you in the end and the feeling of doing honest work. As for my favorite boat I have worked on, when I was young and growing up, I lived on a 1948 Chris Craft Sedan Cruiser which I restored 90% by the time I was 18.