Sheeba's not happy!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we're quickly approaching the end of the cottage season.

So it's time to pack 'er up.

We do a little each weekend, and this time 'round the chore was taking our big floating dock, out of the water.

Sheeba knows it's just about over for the season.

She doesn't look too happy and neither do I apparantly. :eyes: :( :eek: :yell:

Ah well, next season is just around the corner. :)

Here are a few pics of the big event...

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
First job is to disconnect the ramp from the dock...

Then I hook up a chain to hooks that are on the end of the ramp...

I have a winch mounted on a pipe - I use it to lift the ramp up a bit which gets it ready to winch up into the air...

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I have another winch which is mounted on a tree. I use a series of pullies and the tree to winch the ramp up above the impending ice that will arrive in a month or so. :(

I also have a secondary safety line which is attached to a second tree in case something happens with the main one.

All that's left to do now is tow the main floating dock over to our little beach.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a couple of views of the ramp from the water side - Yolie is taking these from the dock as I tow it to the beach...

The boat bumper that you see floating is attached to a nylon rope, which in turn is tied to the anchor chains. That makes it easy to retrieve the chains in the spring when the water will be no doubt freezing. :eek: :yell:

It's a nice day for towing. Not too windy. :thumb:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Pullin' into the beach...

I use the truck or the old farm tractor to pull the dock up with a wire cable. This year I used the truck.

And the finished product. Now all's we need is for spring to arrive so we can hopefully start all over again- God willing!
Time for a little hot soup and a Coke! :)

sawcat

I guess the ice would destroy that dock if you left it or a storm ?

Pretty cool little system you got there though. Looks like you got it down pat

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Storms aren't the worry, it's ice.

It can get pretty thick and it starts shifting around. It can get to be 2'-4 'feet thick if the weather conditions are right.

Usually the two things that destroy docks are the ice moving and shifting and also when the ice is coming out if it gets windy and drifts into things.

Watching the ice come out of the lake, when it comes out on a windy day can be pretty incredible. It comes out with some serious force. It can move boat houses, rocks, piers, you name it.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi ian,

You're right-but we're protected as we're on an inland lake. So normally storms don't due damage unless it's a tornado or twister type.

-Chris