Help with an old bayliner

margarita1486

I'm installing new points in a 1984 Bayliner with the Volvo 4-cylinder inboard motor in it. Does anyone know what to gap the points at? Also can anyone tell me more info. on this motor? ie... what size is this motor? How many horse? Anything at all. I'm pretty new to boating and this boat was given to me.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi margarita,

Welcome aboard, nice to have you with us.

Do you have any more info on your motor?

Are there any tags or serial numbers etc? Using those you can probably search and get more info.

A lot of the Volvo's in the past have actually been Ford blocks.

-Chris

Fun Times

I'm installing new points in a 1984 Bayliner with the Volvo 4-cylinder inboard motor in it. Does anyone know what to gap the points at? Also can anyone tell me more info. on this motor? ie... what size is this motor? How many horse? Anything at all. I'm pretty new to boating and this boat was given to me.
Hopefully there are some stickers on the engine that will give you some basic information about what size engine you really do have.

What size boat is it???

Normally the Bayliners with the Volvo 4-cylinders back then came with a volvo AQ 125 A or B engine with a 270 volvo sterndrive.

If you could try to post some photos of the Boat, Engine, Drive.

margarita1486

I'm learning a little more

My motor is the AQ 125 A with the 270 outdrive. I should have my tune up kit tomorrow, but I still don't know what to gap the points at.... I will try to get some pics to post soon. The boat ran great for about 1/2 hour, now it dies after running about 5 minutes, or when I try to throttle up. Gonna do the tune up, drain the gas, change the Separating fuel filter. Also considering buying the kit to convert the ignition to electronic, no more points :thumb: So how many horse is the AQ 125 A???

Fun Times

My motor is the AQ 125 A with the 270 outdrive. I should have my tune up kit tomorrow, but I still don't know what to gap the points at.... I will try to get some pics to post soon. The boat ran great for about 1/2 hour, now it dies after running about 5 minutes, or when I try to throttle up. Gonna do the tune up, drain the gas, change the Separating fuel filter. Also considering buying the kit to convert the ignition to electronic, no more points :thumb: So how many horse is the AQ 125 A???
About 125.;)

The gap is set to 0.016", But contact "gap" is an estimate only of proper dwell.
If you could get a hold of a dwell meter, Then you can set these engines up to run correctly by setting dwell angle.
Volvo Penta refers to this as "Cam Angle"... But this is basically a dwell of 62* +/- 3* for your style engine.
Be sure to re-set the initial timing after the adjustment, and also you could check the total Advance timing if you wanted to.
The total Advance for the AQ125 is 36 degrees btdc @ 4200 rpm.

You should also try to find a service manual for your engine, it will help you out a lot if your going to working on your engine.:cheers:

To convert the ignition to electronic ignition, just google the word "Pertronix" and "2842".

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS351US351&q=electronic+ignition+kit+%22Pertronix%22+and+%222842%22.+

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your help BT. :thumb:

Let us know how you make out Margarita - I'll look forward to seeing your pics when you're up and running. :)

-Chris