Seats

lilaussie

Hi all

We have a glass boat, 4.7mtr with hull and 70hp motor

Now we have 2 bench type seats in the hull, and one seat molded into the bodywork at the rear, we are wanting to install a high seat for the driver and also where we have a space at the rear opposite to the molded chair, we are wanting to put a low one there.

My question, how do i go about this? as its a glass boat am i able to drill into the floor, or would this cause problems, with flotation, floor weakening ect? whats the best way i can install a couple of seats?

thanks for your help, bu being that it is a glass boat, i have never worked on or with fiberglass, and i am therefore very unsure what can and cannot be done.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Does it have a false bottom? Or is the floor more or less the bottom?

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well if you've got some clearence between the false bottom and the real bottom, then there are some options for you.

Are there any access points where you can get your hands under the false bottom?

Whatever you do, you'll have to be careful not to use any type of attachment though that might compromise either the hull or the core if it has one.

-Chris

lilaussie

no access points, its a solid unit, the hull itself is the actual sides and bottom albeit a small walking floor that is false, but when you step out onto the back of the boat the floor is all false, from hull doorway to rear, from left to right

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Is the false bottom made of wood?

Assuming it is, I would think, where the false bottom is, there might be an opportunity to do something there. Whatever you do, you obviously have to be careful not to compromise the hull or core if it has one. Doing so would obviously result in some expensive repairs. :yikes:

In the other spots where there is no false bottom, it's not easy to do much unless you are prepared to glass in a box, base or similar.

As one idea, perhaps you could mount a bass boat type pedestal seat base or two in a couple of locations and then you could move the seats around. Those types seats are usually somewhat adjustable for height too.

You will also want to obviously use stainless steel fasteners and hardware as well.

Maybe Coop one of our other membes will have some additional ideas or tips and will chime in. :)

-Chris