2004 four winns won't start

warthog

Hi, new to this forum. I have a 2004 Four Winns 194 funship with the 4.3 engine. Bought it last year with 25hrs on it. Guy was older and didn't use it much. Ran great and I put about 100hrs on since. Problem is now after running all day and starting and stopping just quits starting. Usually after an hour or so it will start again but this past weekend it wouldn't and still won't. Anyone else have this problem and if so what did you find out other than " vapor lock "? Thanks in advance.

Peels

do all the regular things:

check/clean/replace spark plugs

and distributor(FYI mine is a 2004, and was dirty inside)

sounds to me like fuel though...?

check that fuel pump screen...and fuel filter. maybe fuel pump quit?

Not sure, hope its something simple... Not carburetor stuff. Just have to go through and start canceling out all the easy stuff one by one.

Curious. do you leave your blower on when running, and awhile after shutting down..? Maybe fuel getting too hot would cause vapor lock?

SOrry, not much help, i havent seen the problem personally....

nathan

sounds like vapor lock to me. or could be either a fuel filter or the fuel lines maybe coming apart inside the lines. stupid ethanol

Sean

+1 on fuel lines & filters.

What kind of fuel pump do you have (electric/mechanical)?
When it does not start, does it still turn over?

warthog

Thanks for all the advice. Found out today it was a bad coil, rusty and dirty. Fuel pump checked out good. Getting coil, plugs, rotor replaced and hopefully be back on the water this weekend.

nathan

wow a bad coil. that would not have been my first thought. normally coils don't behave that way. but good find and catch!!

Sean

I would not have looked there first either. Was it getting hot?

Glad you have 'er sorted though! Happy boating time...

Fun Times

I'm going to guess coil.:D Just kidding.:)

That's what makes internet diagnostics tough at times. While yes it could be a huge number of things like the coil in this case, it's tough to pin point something down without either being there checking things over or having the poster go through some sort of test procedure to try and pin point all the possibilities of what it could be, only to come up short of the correct answer half the time with questions such as theses types.:(

Happy he was able to find the problem and better yet, Very nice that he came back and posted an update of the problem found, That's even more rare then pin pointing the problem on the internet it seems.:(