PROBLEM WITH UP BUTTON ?

bayliner mike

I have a bayliner 2000 1950 clasic 4 cylinder i/o merc. cruiser engine and outdrive. Problem , up button doesnt work ( part of togle switch on shifter ) down side of togle works so does seperate trailer button work, so drive does go up and down just up button which has limit to how far up it goes. Problem to me seems to be either switch ( at shifter ) or one of those sender starb. side or limit on port side on outdrive ( hockey puck look a likes ) Motor works solenoids seem fine just up button that controls how far up, where should I test at switch in front or one of the hockey pucks ? What does starborn side sender do vs portside limit do ? Is one for trailer ( sender ) one for up button ( limit ) I have in past taken apart those hockey pucks and cleaned them, suggestions PLEASE. I want to do the work myself THANKS AGAIN Also does that togle switch come off seperate from shifter if so how do you get it off ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I would probably see if you can check the actual switch in the control arm as the first step. There's a bunch of different kinds out control units out there, so I'm not sure how you would access yours. But it could be as simple as the switch itself being worn out or defective.

Usually a good multi-tester can help with problems like that. Just check to see if you got power coming and going and you can probably figure it out. A shop manual would no doubt give you the voltage you should be looking for.

-Chris

keith4216

I had the same problem at one time. In my case it was the up/down switch. I removed the screws holding the shift lever together then the screws holding in the switch and replaced it.

bayliner mike

I had the same problem at one time. In my case it was the up/down switch. I removed the screws holding the shift lever together then the screws holding in the switch and replaced it.
Good sugestion I thought test switch or tab on drive mine doesnt have any screws now that I think of it I thing there are two bolts behind from back ,a bear to get at, maybe I can find wires tucked up under and test them , I dont think i have screws it has a 6 inch sticker i think says merc. cruis.

Chris E

likely the problem is the trim limit switch on the outdrive has failed. have a look, the wires have probably rotted off, your boat is old enough to have that issue. part is sold as a set with sender and limit switch and is around 100.