Chris & Yolie's 2011 Cottage Thread

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we opened up the cottage this weekend.

So first stop was clearning up the road so that we can get in. Luckily, there were only a few trees down this year. :)

First order of business was trying to break up some branches. I tried pulling, yanking, jumping etc.

Then another tree was down which I couldn't move, so I cut it up into a few pieces and threw them out of the way. :)

Finally, pulling into the final stretch the dogs can hardly contain themselves! And me and Yolie's anxiety level is on high worrying that everything is still in one piece. :yell: :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thankfully, everything was fine.

We spent most of the rest of the first day just unpacking and getting everything livable. Lots of stuff had to removed from the cottage that we store inside for the winter. We splurged and got Yett's pizza from town for dinner and ate it while watching the NHL Playoffs and fed the logs into the woodstove. :)

This morning we woke up to snow!

The lake is still quite frozen and I don't think I'll be heading out for a boat ride this weekend somehow.

Although...there is a bit of open water around the dock...yeah, then again, maybe not. :D

john lamon

Nice, the water looks a little hard, same story around here this year, the good part is your opening the cabin up for the year, the ice is bound to melt eventually, well, with the weather we've had this year maybe not,lol

Sounds like you and Yolie are having a nice and peaceful weekend at the cottage...not to mention getting some work done. Glad to hear everything was safe and sound and hope you get some warmer temps.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, the water looks a little hard, same story around here this year, the good part is your opening the cabin up for the year, the ice is bound to melt eventually, well, with the weather we've had this year maybe not,lol
So true brotha. When I got home, my best buddy said they had snow in Toronto as well. Up north, at times it looked like a blizzard. I took more pics, but I think the couple I posted were more than enough to get the point across! :yell:

Sounds like you and Yolie are having a nice and peaceful weekend at the cottage...not to mention getting some work done. Glad to hear everything was safe and sound and hope you get some warmer temps.
Thanks BRO. I'm hoping to post a few more pics of the fun this year. The past couple of years, my internet connection up north has been so bad that I almost gave up trying to post pics. We finally got a bit faster internet connection, so hopefully I'll be able to upload more pics this year. :)

-Chris

Chris E

so nice to see the snow again wasn't it? i was out at the cottage friday night and the ice was just leaving the lake - should be gone by now.

Will Switzer

I was told this afternoon that the Ice has finally left our lake today . But now for the bad part I heard we can get 4-5 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning . Here it was 84 here last sunday and 44 this sunday . WTH is going on ? Im probably going to put my dock in any way this coming weekend . Than it will feel like spring .

Chris E

I was told this afternoon that the Ice has finally left our lake today . But now for the bad part I heard we can get 4-5 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow morning . Here it was 84 here last sunday and 44 this sunday . WTH is going on ? Im probably going to put my dock in any way this coming weekend . Than it will feel like spring .

well, i don't know if you noticed this or not, but chris opened his cottage this weekend and so far we had snow twice this week, enough for a "snow day" today. coincidence - i think not.

chris i beg you - please close your cottage!!!!!

:rof:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
well, i don't know if you noticed this or not, but chris opened his cottage this weekend and so far we had snow twice this week, enough for a "snow day" today. coincidence - i think not.

chris i beg you - please close your cottage!!!!!

:rof:
LOL!

Unfortunately, so true. :shakehead:

The way things are going it might be academic as I might not be able to make it back in without a snowmobile!

Gotta love 6 inches of snow right before the first long weekend of the cottage year. :yell: :)

-Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a nice sunset shot I snapped with my BlackBerry while I was cooking some steaks up on the BBQ. :cheers:

-Chris

JT Patroni

You have a nice place there Chris. Nothing like being out in the country.

I am buying a house on Wellesley Island, NY in the St. Lawerence River
just 20 miles east of Lake Ontario. Should go to closing by the end of August. I was hoping to get it before then but the current ower hasn't been there for 5 years and for some reason was in no rush to clean out his belongings. Better late than never.

I will probably stay up there till October 15th. after closing. I understand that is a safe time to leave before the snow season starts. It will be nice to stay there from May 1 until Oct. 15th each year.

I just have to find a smaller more efficient boat to use each day. The Checkmate Starflite will easily burn $70.00 a day and that is at 1/2 throttle for only 3 to 4 hours run time. I like to be on the water, can't you tell.

I guess I will have to learn how to go fishing again to help pass the time of day.

Who said retirement sucks. I think I did!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks JT. :)

We're located about two hours north of Toronto. Typically, we get snowed out officially around mid November. Sometimes we get the odd dusting before mid November, but it usually melts fairly quickly.

After mid November the temps start dropping enough that any snow that falls often stays. So I would guess you would be good til about mid November as well, especially considering you're even further south.

One thing you could always consider for the Starflite is repowering with an Optimax as they're much better on fuel. I know at cruise speed, many owners report getting five or six miles per gallon which is pretty good as compared to the old carb motors. :)

-Chris