RUDES VS MERCS

Who makes the best outboards?

• Total voters

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The poll here is a lot closer than the one we had on the Check forums.

Interesting.

benski

Da outboard pole (er, poll)

:DHere's my .02. I've run outboards commercially for over 30 years, and I've developed a fondness for Evinrude/Johnson, mostly because of parts availabilty nationwide, I love the Mercury big motors especially the I-6's for that wonderful howl that they have at full speed, they also seem to be quite durable, and most recently, (last 10 years or so,) I really like how civilized the OB's from Yamaha and Honda are. The 4 strokes are the wave of the future, and everyone is making them, but I really like the level of refinement on the late Hondas and Yamahas. Parts and availability? Not as good..prices? All this stuff for what it is, is as bad as going to a Mercedes Benz dealership, it seems like.:irked: My current motors in my stable of boats? A 150 V-6 Suzuki, pretty bulletproof but THIRSTY:yikes:, and a 115 Merc Tower of Power, with that fabulous Mercury howl I alluded to above.
To sum it up, if it runs and stays running, it's a great motor. In the poll, I voted for Honda.:cheers:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
:DHere's my .02. I've run outboards commercially for over 30 years, and I've developed a fondness for Evinrude/Johnson, mostly because of parts availabilty nationwide, I love the Mercury big motors especially the I-6's for that wonderful howl that they have at full speed, they also seem to be quite durable, and most recently, (last 10 years or so,) I really like how civilized the OB's from Yamaha and Honda are. The 4 strokes are the wave of the future, and everyone is making them, but I really like the level of refinement on the late Hondas and Yamahas. Parts and availability? Not as good..prices? All this stuff for what it is, is as bad as going to a Mercedes Benz dealership, it seems like.:irked: My current motors in my stable of boats? A 150 V-6 Suzuki, pretty bulletproof but THIRSTY:yikes:, and a 115 Merc Tower of Power, with that fabulous Mercury howl I alluded to above.
To sum it up, if it runs and stays running, it's a great motor. In the poll, I voted for Honda.:cheers:
Welcome to the board Benski - nice to have you aboard and thanks for joining up. :)

You pretty much summed it up. I've always had great luck with Merc myself, so that's what I like. But the bottom line I believe, is if it's running, it's the greatest thing since slice bread - and if it isn't running, then it sucks.

-Chris

steven

well iv been around mercs and rudes alot and well rudes are more reliable but harder to modified and mercs run better and are easier to get more power out of but are less reliable. but as in any thing its all got to do with how u run it and how u take care of it.

This battle has been going on for years. I'm still a fan of the Dark Side. The resale on products with Mercury power seems to be higher than Evinrude/Johnson and the wide variety of aftermarket performance parts for Mercs is outstanding.

Enticer1

White Mite Be Rite

Last sunday I had a starting issue and and a Big Fat JohnnyRude pulled me to a dock for a looksee. I'll never give up my Black girl but I won't ever Bad Mouth a white motor again. We need diversity to keep things intresting.

Fun Times

It might be time for a stern drive poll:D I would have voted honda because they seem to brake less over all, But they are a little bit harder to find and get parts for when they do go down. But also now a days we need to try our best to keep the $$$ close to home as much as we can.

Last edited:

redbull760

I hate Johnson/Evinrude. I have had a 200hp 225hp 9.9hp and a 70hp i dont know if ive been unlucky but i have had nothing but trouble with all of them. They seem to be poor starters and run rough no mater what you do to them? and no matter how old they are. The 225 was only 5years old when i bought it cost me thousands and took months for the mechanic to get it running anywhere near how it should.

I have had 3 Merc's a 200hp 150hp and a 50hp and never had a problem with any of them. Always run well and strong. The best was the 150 Black Max which was also the oldest engine i have ever owned.

I have a Suzuki 200hp at the moment which is a 98 and that has a few problems. I only bought it becauce i really liked the boat. Might be going back to the mighty Merc!!!!

capt

I have owned 2 mercs 1 evinrude
i really can't say which i like more
but the 'rude was more slughish on start up then the merc

Will Switzer

All my boats are merc powered . Starting with my 1960 Crosby with a 1960 Merc 400 45hp . My 2005 Bennington pontoon has a 60hp merc bigfoot 4 stroke . My 1976 Checkmate Trimate II 150hp Merc inline six. My Checkmate V-Mate I Will have a Merc 150hp inline six on it . And last but not least My 1969 Checkmate V-141 has a Merc 80hp inline 4 . Along with numours other mercs I have Dating all the way back to 1946 and they start right up .... Only a Merc for me :thumb: