Plans for the Belle Isle, a 23' barrel back runabout designed by Ken Hankinson

Fun Times

Hi, I helped a guy out with his engine question, And he wanted to share with me what he was working on. He built this wooden style boat at his house, And it turned out varry nice, So I thought I would link it over to this forum to share with everyone here to see this nice boat with lot's of photos. I will also try to get the owner of the boat to come over here to this forum and see if he is willing to share more info about his boat.:poke::D:cheers:

Boat Teck-
thanks for your wealth of information on this...
good to know the SmartCraft runs off the sensor and the analog runs off the sender! wish the Mercruiser site would give schematics of the systems. would make this much easier. I built the boat it is installed in, a triple cockpit barrelback if you are interested see: http://metrocast.net/~bcheckerberry/ for my build
thanks-
-Billy

Billy's Belle Isle

Viewing Album:
The Plan Frames Longitudinals Cold Molding Strakes Prop Shaft Hole Glass and Bottom Paint The Turn Engine Sole Seats Ceilings Dashboard mockup Deck Clamps Deck Framing Deck and Coverboards Finish Coats Seat backs and Seat bases Seat cushions cutwater transom band complete

It went from this
087.jpg

Plans for the Belle Isle, a 23' barrel back runabout designed by Ken Hankinson​
TO THIS.
dsc_6261.jpg

billyc

Boat Teck-
thanks for introducing me to this forum- looks like a good group of folks, will post soon on the introductiion page
-Billy
BTW thanks Chris for the kudos on the boat.:) have to update my website too been slacking a little in updating and captioning the photos. i have been on the water since spring and got the fine tuning and waterline etc details done and . hope a few more months before it gets winterized

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
billy,

Your boat turned out incredible. I wish I had the time, patience and talent to do what you did.

I actually had a Glen L boat when I was a kid. :thumb:

We had the Pee Wee model. I ordered the plans and then we had a local carpenter at my cottage build it for us. It turned out really nice, there are some pictures of it around here somewhere.

It was a fun little boat!

I still have the plans and one day I'd like to build another myself.

Thanks for sharing your project, I'm sure it will inspire some others (hopefully)! :thumb:

-Chris

Fun Times

:bigthumb:Your boat turned out incredible. I wish I had the time, patience and talent to do what you did.

Yes X 2 on that with me also, The boat turned out great looking.:bigthumb:

Chris E

very nice, one of my closeset friends restores wooden boats for a living, the endless hours of sanding must be enough to drive you nuts!

billyc

very nice, one of my closeset friends restores wooden boats for a living, the endless hours of sanding must be enough to drive you nuts!
hi Chris-
thanks:) restoring boats is quite a process. i do think it is much more intense than building new. i wanted a boat that would handle the power of todays engines with the better design elements that could be built into the new boat. it still does take some work to fair but with the pneumatic tools, carbide scrapers and abrasives available today it goes quickly. the boat is cold molded with the final mahogany strakes oriented like the traditional antique boats. it has fiberglass cloth filled/leveled with epoxy followed by a 2 part LPU finish to protect the wood, so effectively it is sealed from the elements. should be good for many years without sanding or refinishing.
-Billy