Late 70s Humber javelin

DevinGodard

In the process of redoing pretty much my entire 1970s boat all except the haul and transom. The boat has never had any major work done to it but has Ben in my family since day one my grandfather Owned it. It has a 60 hp 1988 evintude on it that looks and works like new. Next year will be new wiring for it agian never had any major work to it wires are dry wrougting it looks like. So right about to start rebuilding and has a few questions I wanted more expert opinions on.

There is no drain plug for the actual hull, so if water gets under the floor it just sits. Should a plug he added while I'm in there? I was thinking add one into the battery box which has the bilge pump in it?

I am redoing all the wood with marine grade ply, cost is higher yes but I would like to go another 30-40 years with no maintence, so I have enough marine ply to do the floor and two outside stringers my question is can I use a pressure treated or the blue treated 2x8 or 2x10 for the middle. I don't want to have to buy another 100$ sheet of ply to use 1/8 of it.

Lastley there was fibreglass resin as a top coat on the floor under the carpet which I plan on replacing but using the glass to not just resin. I was thinking two layers of the glass but then I heard one and it came with none? The original layer just cracked cause it was just resin.

Any thoughts opinions would be great and if anyone knows where to get marine paint for a decen price in canada that would be appreciated :). Not my first rodeo I helped restore a 1930 Chris craft a few years back and have done a little fibre glass work before

nathan

pm chris, john lamon or sean. they are all in Canada and sean has a wooden boat. good luck on the project and it sounds like fun.

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
My answers in red. I'm one of the moderators on the checkmate forum. Check out the restos for ideas.

In the process of redoing pretty much my entire 1970s boat all except the haul and transom. The boat has never had any major work done to it but has Ben in my family since day one my grandfather Owned it. It has a 60 hp 1988 evintude on it that looks and works like new. Next year will be new wiring for it agian never had any major work to it wires are dry wrougting it looks like. So right about to start rebuilding and has a few questions I wanted more expert opinions on.

There is no drain plug for the actual hull, so if water gets under the floor it just sits. Should a plug he added while I'm in there? I was thinking add one into the battery box which has the bilge pump in it?

Without looking at pictures I would add a drain to the boat, use a garboard plug.

I am redoing all the wood with marine grade ply, cost is higher yes but I would like to go another 30-40 years with no maintence, so I have enough marine ply to do the floor and two outside stringers my question is can I use a pressure treated or the blue treated 2x8 or 2x10 for the middle. I don't want to have to buy another 100$ sheet of ply to use 1/8 of it.

You didn't need to buy marine grade ply, Exterior grade ply is fine to use as long as it encapsulated with matt and resin. Don't use treated ply because it's wet and you'll have issues with the mat and resin not bonding properly. You can use dimensional exterior lumber (2x8 or 2x10).

Lastley there was fibreglass resin as a top coat on the floor under the carpet which I plan on replacing but using the glass to not just resin. I was thinking two layers of the glass but then I heard one and it came with none? The original layer just cracked cause it was just resin.

Here's what I would do: embed the stringer in 3M 5200 to the hull, use a plastic spoon to produce a nice radius between the hull and stringer. Glass in the stringer using 1708 mat both sides, half on the stringer, half on the hull. They make different widths. http://www.mertons.com/Reinforcements/double_stitch.html
One layer of csm 1.5 oz underneath the floor then once in place use bondo to fill in between the floor and hull, then sand smooth. Once that's done one layer of CSM,then 18 oz of woven roving, followed by two more layers of CSM. All this can be done back to back making sure each layer is wetted out.
http://www.mertons.com/Reinforcements/chopped.html
http://www.mertons.com/Reinforcements/woven.html
http://www.mertons.com/Epoxy/polyester_Resins/index.html general purpose poly resin.

To wet out large areas of mat use a paint roller and cover. Once the mat is down mix up a batch of resin then pour on the mat and start rolling.

Tip: have all your mat pieces cut and ready once you start don't stop until the last layer is done on the floor.

Any thoughts opinions would be great and if anyone knows where to get marine paint for a decen price in canada that would be appreciated :). Not my first rodeo I helped restore a 1930 Chris craft a few years back and have done a little fibre glass work before

DevinGodard

Thanks for all the help! I bought the marine play ahead of time it's not that money's not a factor I just want to make the things I can't see the best they can be soon have less worries. As far as the plug goes I will attempt to post pics (never seems to work for me) Tom sometime. It's an odd set up. The hull seems to drain into the battery box but there nothing stopping it from filling up the hull if water gets in.

DevinGodard

Oh and if anyone knows anywhere to get chopped fibre mat by the foot or meter in canada like north York ontario or north of that it would be great

cmpulse170

Super Moderator
Oh and if anyone knows anywhere to get chopped fibre mat by the foot or meter in canada like north York ontario or north of that it would be great

Hopefully someone can help you with the supplies in Canada. Do you have problems ordering in the US?

When you are glassing the floor in place make sure you going from side to side (Hull sides) for complete coverage.

Last edited:

DevinGodard

Will do^^ and not any problems ordering from the states I just hate waiting haha. Being that the nice weather is coming I want to get this done as soon as around20 degrees his!