1972 Schuster 21' Jet boat 454 issues

joshreynolds777

Howdy

Looking for a good local machanic I can trust, so I may have him answere the big engine questions... got some poping going on at close to 4000rpm. The seller said he has it retarded, and we had plans of meeting bacjk up to do a tune up, but he's not calling me back, so...

In the mean time, it looks like my single fuel pump is pulling fuel out of one tank only. Leaving the other tank alone, and the seller said its supposed to pull from both tanks... no clue, but the one tiny tank didnt last an hour

Thinking about going with new larger tanks

need to diagnose the bow light

need to kill the aints infested

got a sub floor issue, moving around a lot, feels loose

Thanks for any input

WATER BUG

Fuel Tanks

Your fuel tank problem may be... Fuel pump should be conected to one tank there should be a line ran from the bottom of one tank to the other to let the fuel travel from one to the other to stay level as it is used. Both tanks have to have a vent for this to work. You may have a cutoff switch between the tanks or you could have a vent line stopped up.. My V-drive had two tanks wasp built a nest in one of the vent lines and that tank would not drain.... Like to have drove me crazy before I found the problem ...... GOOD LUCK

joshreynolds777

I've got the boat at a mechanic now, so i hope he can figure out all my messes for me, I dont seems to have the expertise/time/
thanks

RNC

Their are several things that can cause popping at high rpms. But lets not get into that until after your tune up. While doing your tune up make sure the advance is working on your dist.

RNC

How do you mean?
advance working on dist.?

It depends on if you have a vacuum advance or mechanical advance. A vacuum advance works off the distributor like most cars from the sixties to the 90's.. Generally around 2000 rpms a vacuum line from the carb pulls a vacuum pod on the distributor which advances the timing for higher rpms. And a mechanical advance works in the distributor with springs and weights and vacuum is not needed.

You can not achieve proper take off, mid range, or top end without proper advance. With no advance you can only have cranking with low end or wide open.

If your mechanic does not know how to check this he is worthless because this is basic tuning and he is a green horn find somebody more experienced before he breaks your billfold.

Good luck glad to answer any other questions if I can :thumb: