1975 inline six Getting a face lift

Will Switzer

Here is how the old girl looked just before she was stripped and primed ... Old paint was so sun beat that when you touched it you would have black dust on your hands .

P4190685.jpg

Started getting here sanded down . Didnt take long with the paint being so bad ..

Picture276.jpg

Will Switzer

Here are a few more of the top and lower unit being sanded down . The wrap around cowl was the hardest to do and took a few days . Even with the paint in bad shape all the little ribs made it difficult . So ended up getting some paint stripper wiped it on and got out a scotch brite pad that I could hook to the drill and got all the old paint off . I made a mess thats for sure ....

P4220688.jpg

P4240690.jpg

P4240691.jpg

P4190684.jpg

Will Switzer

Finally got the wrap all cleaned up and ready for the etching primer .

P4240695.jpg

Now has a nice coat of etching primer on and ready for epoxy primer over top

Picture271.jpg

Here is dad out spraying the epoxy primer

Picture283.jpg

Will Switzer

Here is the top looks really good in the etching primer all nice and smooth ....

P4240694.jpg

P4240693.jpg

And now with a nice coat of epoxy primer for extra protection

Picture285.jpg

Will Switzer

The motor as it gets its turn in getting sprayed . The mid section and lower unit took a few coats more than everything else . After it would dry you could see through the primer . But once it had a nice build it got a shot of epoxy also ......

Picture277.jpg

Picture278.jpg

Picture279.jpg

Picture281.jpg

Picture287.jpg

Will Switzer

Now time for some new paint Dad out doing his thing. We used jet black paint with super wet look hardener . What a difference . Just those few pieces looked so good . Cant wait to see the rest and put on some new Decals

Picture295-2.jpg

Picture297-1.jpg

Picture299-1.jpg

Last edited:

Will Switzer

Check her out . All freshened up with a Nice fresh coat of paint . This turned out so much better than I thought it would . Dad did a great job . He will be painting my other 150hp inline along with my Vmate :D....

Picture304.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture305.jpg

Picture307.jpg

Will Switzer

Looks great Will. :thumb:

What do you guys have as far a spray gun set up goes? :)

-Chris

Not really sure about the spray guns . Thats his department . I know he has 4 or 5 Devillbis Guns . A few siphons and that Gravity fed gun He used to paint my motor . I know he used to shoot flake through the Big Siphon gun when I was a kid . He is talking about getting New ones when he paints my Vmate because these guns are older and he wants a flawless finish .