Project SEANZI

Sean

Well,
I know it`s not the right time.... (when is) but...

I have wanted a plastic (fiberglass) hull boat that I can leave in the water without worry. My final goal is to have a 21 - 25 footer that can handle the bigger water and still provide some fun in style.

I would like to find a old Cassic 22 Donzi, or maybe a Donzi Z25 hull however, they are not the only hulls I`d consider. A 24 Pantera, a 25 Monza, even a 20 Cigarette (just because they are so cool).... basically a larger than my 18 Greavette but in a go fast hull.

The plan would be to install a mahogany wood deck and stuff it with a modern single engine power and a Bravo III drive. Add some comfey seats and lux-o ammeneties and be right where I want to be.

But building this when I have never done it before (and VERY few others have) will be a learning experience and I don`t want to make mistakes and throw $$$ away. so I`m considering a trial run.....

I have found a derilict Donzi Classic X18 that has a rusted , seized POS under the hatch. The foredeck has rotted out the balsa core and collapsed under a load of snow at some point. The Volvo drive looks salvageable and there are a few hardware items to salvage. The hull is in decent shape with strong transom and stringers. I don`t know how people let boats get into this kind of shape!!!

Anyways, I can get this project for a couple hundred dollars and a trip to new Jersey (from Toronto). I have found an economical solution to storage and a shop to work in. As the investment is low, I can clean up the hull with just my labour, pitch out the decking which is garbage already and experiment with how to attach (and build) a wooden deck. If it goes well I can move on to the next steps like sourcing power while watching the investment to the point where it either can either be scrapped or completely finished... aka decision time.

I think this could be a cheap education in either case but, it could also yeild a cool boat that I would sell to jump start the big boat.

Any thoughts on this from the crew here would be appreciated.
So, whaddyathink...

nathan

are you looking for a cabin boat, closed bow, or open bow? you know I am going to suggest a checkmate but I would also keep chaparrals or older sea rays or glastrons on your list.

nathan

I will sale you a 1983 chaparral 235 xlc hull with a great trailer for 500. also a great trip to central Texas! :cheers:

Sean

I do love Texas! But, I'm thinkin Thunderboat row type hulls...

The deck configuration is irrelivant as I will be making my own wooden deck. Just no eggbeaters though!

Sean

Well, I didn't get the X18 from Jersey but, I did get a classic 16 Donzi.
Not married to this hull yet if anyone has a 21/22 to trade?

Sean

It's actually 16' 7"... big difference, ya I know, right?

It'll do okay for me to learn how to attach a wooden deck and still be a cool boat. The "sweet 16's" are very popular and a well sorted hull.

Sean

Well,
It's been a while since I reported in..... I have been busy boat-wise though.

The original 1966 Formula Jr deal in BC was taking too long. The current owner is using the boat to build a new set of moulds. This is his "retirement" project but, he has been even busier since retiring at the end of April. I didn't want to wait.

So, I was contacted about a 1965 Formula Jr purported to be the #2 boat out of the mould. It was in Key Largo FLA and had spent the last 25 years under a Banyan tree. It needed to move in less than 30 days as the house where it was parked (along with about 60 other boats) was being sold and it was going to the dump. At first, I passed on the deal. Too far away, impossible logistics for timeline etc...

Then One of the Donzi.ORG members in Miami, said he would pick it up and store the boat at his shop until I could arrange transport. I made the deal May 30th but, didn't go get the boat until the end of August/returning on Labour Day... I drove from Toronto to Miami with my own Canadian trailer. I had terrible weather the whole trip and was chased by Hurricane Hermine all the way up the coast on the way home. I returned via New Jersey to pick up a couple of Alpha drives that were waiting for me there. Even with the crappy weather, I managed to have a nice 8 day mini vacation.

Once home, I was able to separate the deck from the hull and clean out about twenty, 5 gallon pales of dirt, rotten wood and crap. I also built a roller dolly to move the boat around in the garage. Next, I removed the rest of the rotten wood still attached (there wasn't much left) to the hull, pulled up the floor and removed the old fuel tank. It was getting too cold to fiberglass up here in Toronto, so I just cleaned/vacuumed the hull out and tucked it in the garage until spring.

You can see the resurrection thread on Donzi.org here... http://www.donzi.org/forum/showthread.php/5759-Formula-Jr-it-s-home-now-so-I-d-better-start-working

More to come.

Last edited: