RUDES VS MERCS

Who makes the best outboards?

• Total voters

LAPLANT

WHAT IS YALLS OPINION ON RUDES
I HAVE ALWAYS HAD MERCS
HAD A BOAT CATCH MY EYE THAT HAS A RUDE ON IT

BRIAN S

I LOVE EVINRUDE ALMOST AS MUCH AS I LOVE WOMEN WHEN THEY DONT NAG!! ANYWAY I HAVE HAD A 9.9 H.P., 15 H.P., 100 H.P., 120 H.P. AND NOW A 200 H.P. ALL EVINRUDE/JOHNSON AND I LOVE THEM. PART OF THE REASON I GUESS THAT I STAY WITH EVINRUDE/JOHNSON IS THE MAIN MARINA ON LAKE GEORGE N.Y. IS A CERTIFIED EVINRUDE DEALER AND IT IS VERY EASY TO GET PARTS.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
They're all great when they're runnin'....

And they're all crap when they aint.

Is it time for the EB outboard powerplant poll? :D

Chris E

brian is right on the money - you love the motor you can get parts for fastest - for me that's merc - 1 day for instock items.

Ive owned dozens or mercs big and small, and dozens of OMC's and both have been great. I find that the OMC's start better and you can run them to forever with little problems. I have one 90hp OMC right now with 90psi in one cylinder and it still starts right up and moves the predictor at just over 28 knots. Ive got another 1980 something 40hp OMC that can really pull when it needs to. that motor is great. The OMC's are definitely workhorses and will stand the test of time. Ive had more problems with mercury although I have had some great mercs too. Im having some fuel delivery issues with my 1987 OMC V8 right now but it was running mint before that and is probably something minor.
Like Chris said, both are good when they are running and a POS when not:p :brickwall::cheers:

BRIAN S

HEY CHRIS DO A POLL!!!!!!!!! THE FIRST POLL.......... DO IT!!!!!!!!:brickwall::bounce::bigthumb::devil::thumb::surf::drool::D DO IT DO IT DO IT.................................

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, give me the list of brands you want included.

When we did the original poll on the Check site, we had limited poll options.

Now we can have a lot more.

Run down your brands and I'll put the poll together. :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see if this list works...

Johnson/Evinrude/BRP
Mercury/Mariner
Yamaha
Honda
Nissan
Suzuki
Tohatsu
Force

Does that list work?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The poll is up fellas! :thumb:

I made this one public so we can see who likes what. :)

1Mate1

Rudes Vs. Mercs

My family has had 4 Evinrudes and 2 Mercs since I've been on the planet and they are both good motors- anyone who says otherwise about either is just plain wrong. Each maunfacturer has had problems with certain models/designs over the years- no one is perfect. We've had much fewer (2 - 1 major, 1 minor) problems with the Evinrudes than the Mercs (4 - 3 Major, 1 minor) and that's over 45 yrs. of Evinrude ownership and 5 yrs of Merc ownership. My 1964 5.5 H.P. Evinrude runs like new today, my 1976 Evinrude 9.9 ran like new( even at -5 degrees C) until it was stolen 4 yrs. ago and my 1979 Evinrude 85 H.P. has never given me a problem, runs like wildfire and gets really good gas mileage at 2500-3500 R.P.M.'s. The only thing I don't like about it is that it smokes a lot on start-up, typical of the motors of the day. I like my 1990 Merc 15H.P., it's fast ,starts easily, but does NOT have the torque of my 1976 Evinrude 9.9 H.P. My 1970 Merc 20 H.P. was good too, but what a bitch to start if it didn't fire on the 1st or 2nd pull ! It really drank gas for a small motor.
So when Armageddon comes, I'll jump in the boat that has the Evinrude on it.:thumb:

Chris E

i voted yamaha, personally of all the motors that came through the various dealerships i worked at, never saw a blown yamaha. lots of mercs, lots of omcs, not one yamaha - would i buy one, don't know, probably still go black - only because parts are quick to get.

my brother in law works for suzuki - let me tell you - they are a fantastic engine - smooth - powerful, but they need a larger dealer network before they'll see any inroads in canada.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I think Suzuki were making most of the 4 stroke Evinrude motors before the ETEC came along.

With the two stroke Johnson's just about finished, I think Suzuki is making inroads in the old OMC dealer network in the small engine category.

Personally, I've had great luck with all my small motors be them black or white.

With the big motors, I've never had any luck at all with any white motors and great luck with the black ones.

Personally, I like my Mercs and that's pretty well all I'll buy. :)